How much, if any, should a guests be refunded if discovered ants in the house?

How much, if any, should a guests be refunded if discovered ants in the house?

The house is located in a sub-Mediterranean climate zone. Ants / insects are natural to the environment.  On day 3 of guests' 4 day stay, they text me about seeing ants. We responded immediately and exterminator was there one day later; same day as check out

I checked with prior guests and house cleaner. Both reported not seeing any ants.

The house has 4 sets of patio doors and a front door. Guests had 2 children between 6-10 years old. Uncertain how often doors left open, which may, or not, contributed to ants access.

Regardless, I offered guests a 15% nightly discount. Guests not happy with 15%.

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions?

7 Replies 7
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Christine3251   Personally I think a 15% discount is extremely generous and more than fair, particularly as it is quite likely that the ants entered for the reasons you outlined during their stay and most probably were attracted by crumbs and food left out.  Sadly, it would seem that some guests are becoming incredibly ‘creative’ in their efforts to get refunds and discounts, many of which are unwarranted.  Unless it was a huge ‘swarm’ of biting/flying ants then I would just stick with your offer.  Airbnb Customer Support will hopefully see that you have already been more than reasonable and deny any further claim they may try.

Thank you for your feedback. Greatly appreciated!

Enri1804
Level 10
North Topsail Beach, NC

@Christine3251  from a host or even landlord perspective you did what you were supposed to by having the exterminator out the next day. My guests are told upfront to let us know any problems and we will take care of it. No refund. 

Appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Christine3251 

15% refund and the exterminator was too much if you ask me. If you leave a crumb on the floor during summer in any house on the ground floor, ants will find it. Removing crumbs and a bit of ordinary anti-bug spray would do the job.

Your guests are just trying to extort money from you. If you allow them they will repeat it next time with another host.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Christine3251 we once had an ant problem at a Mediterranean rental property. It was solved the minute WE took the rather excessive number of empty wine bottles to recycling!

I say no refund as the guest probably caused the issue themselves.

Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.