Managing thermostats settings

ISami0
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Managing thermostats settings

Hello,

My name is Sami and I am in CA.  I have been hosting for about 2.5 years and I own 3 homes and manage one for a family member.  I have couple of questions: my electric bills are killing me ($1,140 - $1,380) per month for one of the property.  Guests just never turn the cooling off even when they are not home.  What do you suggest? Second, guests are staining white linens and towels a lot even though clean instructions from me.  Just generally specking guests are damaging the personal items a lot.  I don't want to charge for everything but I feel like I must because my operating expenses are out of control.  Can't wait to see all of your feedback.  Thank you 

[Title updated by Community Manager for relevancy]

7 Replies 7

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. Adjust your costing and invest in air con systems that turn off automatically when people are not in your homes 

2. if guests damage items charge through the Resolution Centre

@ISami0 

Thank you @Helen3 ! I have smart thermostat installed but I don't have any restrictions on guests.  I was asking if I should decide for the guests and set temp and not let them change? I am sure they'll complain and give poor reviews.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @ISami0,

Welcome to the Community! 🌟

I’ve tagged a few hosts who have previously discussed electricity bills and linens to see if they can share more insights.

@Andrea2460@Maria-Rosa50@Jennifer1897@Leigh625@Joan2709.

@Sally1079@Angela3989@Sheron10@Adam759@Ross869@Mary1523 

While we wait for feedback from these fantastic hosts, you might find it helpful to explore some related discussions in the Community Center. There are great tips on controlling thermostats remotely using apps—check out one of those discussions here.  You might also be interested in this post on managing stained linens and another on choosing the best towel color for your space.

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Thank you Quincy! I look forward to feedback from the other hosts.  I have app to control the temperature but so far I have avoided it since I feel guests will complain if they are not able to change the temperature at will.

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@ISami0 
I charge for water and electricity separately. I explain to guests that this system rewards those who are conscious of their energy usage, as mentioned in my advertisement and the confirmation letter. I also inform them about the average usage. Photos of the meter readings are taken and shared with the guests. A deposit is requested, which is refunded minus the cost of water and electricity used.
No complaints in 6 years.

We're struggling with some electric bills as well and trying to figure out how to reduce cost. I don't have any answers at this time, but as soon as I find something out I will definitely post the solution.