I just avoided a disaster guest. Many would not have

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I just avoided a disaster guest. Many would not have

She had one perfect review but very low stars. Luckily, and because of a kind of guest she is, she began by bargaining instead of using instant book so I had a chance to look. In her review for the other host she complained about everything: dryer to slow; pool charges for towels (not her host's pool!); only one key provided (place has 24/7 front desk that keeps the keys). I don't know what she did to get the bad stars herself but hosts on instant book would not have seen those. I understand some hosts do not want to leave a bad review for various reasons but if this host bothered to downgrade her stars, why not leave an appropriate review for everyone's sake

9 Replies 9
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Inna22,

Some hosts are under the incorrect notion that guests will see the review first, and then leave a retaliatory review.  Other hosts don't want to leave factual reviews, because they believe it will make them look nit-picky.  Lastly, many hosts don't understand the importance of accurate reviews for the overall hosting community. 

And then there are the hosts who only leave glowing reviews for guests, regardless of behavior, in the hope the guest will repay in kind, 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Asking-for-and-giving-5-reviews/td-p/1479316

@Colleen253 Promising to leave only a five star review? Wow, that’s a new low

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

We often have new time guests with no reviews . it is up to us to give them an experience which makes them want to give us a five star review but sometimes people will just mark you low for no apparent reason . We need to work around this and try and pick up with the next guests . Its not disaster guests but those who do not realise that their holidays are our business and that often we have gone out on a limb for them . Waiting on dark cold nights when they are late often outside so they dont miss the house and turning heaters on so they and their families are cosy and warm even though they have changed their arrival times three or four times and all the myriad things we do . It is when you have really gone over and above that the loss of one star which puts us down rather than up can have a big blow to self esteem.I know its not me but sometimes i think that the star system does not reflect the guests feelings just about the accomodation . Sometimes I know that the guest is in such a bad mood with their husband or wife that the chances of a good review flies out the window. Sometimes,people especially with children are so relieved when they see the accomodation that you know straight away you will recieve a good review.Its often not us they review but themselves and being a good fit for peoples expectations or trying to be is all we can do at the end of the day. cheers everyone . I know you all try so hard to make it right for your guests.@Helen744

D-and-B64
Level 2
Pigeon Forge, TN

If I used instant book I would not be able to screen for problem guests. I too have a majority of 'no review' guests. The vast majority of all guests have been good or great or fantastic. I've been doing this for several years and I can smell when a potential guest is a party planner/scammer. Red flags begin popping up. With a series of questions for that requester I can confirm my suspicion. 

If I used instant book I would not be able to screen for problem guests. I too have a majority of 'no review' guests. The vast majority of all guests have been good, great and fantastic. I've been doing this for several years and I can smell when a potential guest is a party planner/scammer. Red flags begin popping up. With a series of questions for that person I can confirm my suspicion.

It's true that the rating system is not perfect. There are too many factors and it's too subjective. One example: 'Is it a good value?' 98% of guests give 5☆. Then a couple people come along and charge their whole vacation to an overextended credit card. They give 1☆ which puts an anchor on your overall rating. This response is not directed at any of the previous responses. 

I'm just saying....

David7943
Level 2
Virginia, United States

I agree, you'll eventually bump into guests that just won't be satisfied.  I suggest that AirBnB take the last 25 (for sake of argument) of the last guest ratings, strip out one that is the worst, and average the remaining ratings.  That would provide a much more representative overall rating.

D-and-B64
Level 2
Pigeon Forge, TN

oops! Sorry for the repeat part

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I'm on instant booking and In 5 years of hosting, I've declined just 2 groups based on their bad reviews. I am very grateful to their previous hosts. The first one was a same-day instant book and I've spent the whole afternoon getting a CS rep to cancel his stay a few hours before check-in. The second one was not able to instant book bc she didn't meet my booking criteria ( she had 1* review and no recommendation from host) so I was able to decline her request.

I've hosted a few bad groups with great or no reviews as well.

Fortunately, 99% of our guests were great, or at least good, otherwise, we would stop hosting a long time ago.

John1902
Level 8
Aldeburgh, United Kingdom

I think that the actual review process is pretty badly explained to guests and indeed to hosts.   I make the point that if my superhost status requires 4.8* average then a 4 star review is pretty damning.  I have a home stay listing so it’s easier to judge who’s happy or not but I agree is disheartening to get downgraded when it’s all been smiles during the stay.  Often it’s because guests are new to airbnb and don’t get it.  My other thought is to detail everything that you can think of in your listing honestly.  Then if a guest complains, you have often the justification that it was in your listing when they booked.  This helps for location, value  and accuracy.   I’ve also had some reviews removed for things like the above example where the costs of pool were complained about despite it not belonging to the listed property.  If it’s not yours then the review is in breach of Airbnb’s review policy as it’s not relevant and should be removed. 
The unfortunate thing is that your good scores make fairly little difference but the bad ones immediately impact your average.