I wish airbnb would go into a little more detail...

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I wish airbnb would go into a little more detail...

... I get this email and wonder what exactly caused this cancellation. Specifically I mean. 

We hope this message finds you well. Reservation xxxxxx with Sandy xxxxxx has been canceled in our system. This reservation was set to start on 2020-01-26.
Unfortunately, we’ve received quality assurance information regarding this guest and we’re no longer able to support them as a member of our Airbnb community. Your calendar should now be open for the affected dates.
We’ve also reached out to Sandyxxxxxx to let them know this is no longer an active reservation. We’ve refunded them in full and they are aware that we’ve let you know about this cancellation.
Please know that Airbnb would never attempt to act in a manner that would compromise you as a host, and situations like these are very rare. We truly apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Best regards,
6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Donald28  If wishes were fishes.... Of course you know that Airbnb will never tell you specifically why they cancelled it. But it sounds to me like the guest was either reported for unacceptable behavior at another Airbnb, or maybe Airbnb was made aware that this person is wanted by the police, or they made the booking with stolen credit card information, something like that.

I see posts here by guests who've had their credit card charged for bookings they never made, so maybe this is what the upshot of that looks like on the host end.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Wow @Donald28  I wish I had gotten this message from Airbnb instead of the horror that ended up landing on my doorstep, way back when. Judging by the number of 'bad guest from hell' stories floating around like snowflakes in a blizzard, this one must go into the Airbnb hall of fame, filed under 'They finally caught ONE!'. I guess just be glad you escaped unscathed from whatever WAS coming your way.🙃

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

PS, the first clue I had, that something was wrong (I have a whole home listing and now keep a much closer eye on things) was 30 minutes before checkout when my guest texted me asking for late checkout (so he could load one more stolen item into his trailer?) 🤣. When I went to Airbnb messaging to reply, I couldn't... I got a message from ABB that the guest's account had been terminated, for violating the TOS. They would not tell me why.  Of course. Meanwhile, my guest had spent several days trashing my house and stealing from it. I think I had a right to know a simple thing like how he violated TOS, as he was violating my place. So, I don't think they will be going into much detail about your 'near miss' guest, lol.

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I got this message today...   I see where the reservation I made for my son and grandson was cancelled because of a background check on my son. Long story short messy divorce and vindictive wife.. I am helping my son raise his 3 boys. Our lawyer is checking to see why those charges from 2018 show unknown resolution. Is there any way I can rent the Arcade Jan 26 for 2.5 hrs for my grandsons birthday? I will be happy to submit to a background check, make a deposit, come play, anything so not to disappoint my grandson, he was so looking forward to seeing your Arcade. 

@Donald28  So, let's see...third party reservation... charges...lawyer...Airbnb terminated member...

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Besides satisfying my curiosity, being told why a guest cancels is not useful information to me.  Sometimes a guest will let me know but most of the time I do not know.  As a guest, I may or may not feel a need to let a host know why I cancel.