I woukd like to share my latest experience

I woukd like to share my latest experience

Hello, I am new airbnb host and I would like to share my latest nightmare hosting experience, guest who harrased and trying to scam and tried get refunds. 

I started airbnb month and half ago, and my apt is full service community unit. 

When this guest booked unit, first time it was 3 guests. When they showed up, they checked in with 4 pple after 1am. 

After I gave them keys, I forgot I left my stuff in unit so I went back to 5 min later - they were smoking weed in the bathroom in front of their kids. 

2 hours later(3am). This guests were complaining for not having TV in unit and immediately asking refund. they were saying they need TV because their kids need watch TV (3am) so bring TV right now anf give tgem refund. 

I told them it's 3am, I'll get TV as soon as Walmart open because non of Walmart las vegas is open after 12am. 

I have TV, 3 TVs at the pool and pool opens 10am - 10pm. Non of guests complained about not having TV so I didn't place TV inside unit that was my fault, - but I stated it on my listing so airbnb told me I don't have to buy TV when I was calling them. 

I slept on Walmart parking lot, and 6am, I bought TV and brought it to unit. 

When they opened the door, I saw they had every fans turned on but I could still smell weed. 

They totally trashed my place. Dish with bacon grease was on microwave, fully stacked dirty dished on sink, worst part was weed smell on bedroom bedding and couch. I had next guest checking in same day and I couldn't get rid of weed smell on bedding so I bought whole new bedding sets. 

When I was vacuuming I found several weed paper on the bathroom floor and living room floor so I took pictures and videos. 

- this is not the nightmare part. 

I contacted airbnb and send all pictures I have, and wrote them reviews. 

This is where nightmare started - this guest caused me triple cleaning costs, but it's nothing compared what happened after I wrote review. 

Guest started cussing on message and started harrasing me. I called airbnb support again and I got help, and blocked her. 

After I blocked her, her sister contacted me outside of airbnb, called my phone. And thus is where scamming part start - she was saying they left full of very expensive bag of jewelry in my bedroom. 

I told her I will file police and I still have your weed paper, your finger prints and everything there I will take every action to send u jail if you keep harrasing and attempts scamming.

I couldnt beleave this how come mother with her kid doing this. 

I have contacted numerous time airbnb because of this guest. I am sharing this to community so that other hosts can prevent situation like mine. 

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

you can prevent situations like this by not accepting more guests than are on a booking and asking Airbnb to cancel when you saw the guests smoking weed.

vetting guests and taking decisive action against guests who break your house rules  is key to a successful STR business

why you would go out of your way and get a TV for these troublesome guests is beyond me 🙂

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

It would have had to been snowing in hell before I would have sat in a Walmart parking lot waiting for them to open to purchase a TV. 

But even before that, I would have canceled the reservation for breaking house rules. 

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Jungin0 Sorry to hear about your bad experience. unfortunately we all come across guests like this at some point in our hosting careers,

First and foremost, you are not responsible for supplying demanding guests with items you did not advertise in your listing, and conforming to their demands/complaints so much so that you find yourself sitting in a Walmart parking lot at 6am is crazy.  Was a TV something you had listed before, or did you recently add that as an amenity? Just as an FYI I wouldn't add amenities like a TV to my listing if it was only something at the common area pool, as that is not specific to the home. and isn't something they can utilize inside the Unit. 

Second. If a guest arrives and has exceeded the number of people they booked for or that the space allows, you have every right to refuse them. Can this be tricky or result in a negative review, possible. But you have to weigh the pros and cons of doing so. 

Third, when they break house rules you have the right to end their reservation.  Unfortunately Airbnb will likely refund them, but it removes them and prevents further damage to your home. 

Moving forward you can take some steps to weeding out potential bad guest. You can turn off instant book, or if you opt to leave it on you can set requirements ( Reviewed people only, Government ID, Photo, etc) Also make sure you have very clear communication upfront. Ask for the guest count and names of all people and attempt to make sure they have read and understand house rules

One a slight side not, but still related. I understand this is your residence and you have personal items there. You really should have a separate area for those and make 100% sure you have everything you need before the guest arrives. I would be a little put off if a host returned to collect personal items after I arrived and settled in. Another prior review of yours also mentions personal items (Dog stuff) and lack of cleanliness.  Given that you are just starting these little dings (especially) cleanliness can really affect you moving forward. 

You have a very nice place with lots of potential.  Wish you luck moving forward.