Ideas on how we as hosts can be an ally by promoting inclusion in our properties and community?

Karen1100
Level 3
Nelson, Canada

Ideas on how we as hosts can be an ally by promoting inclusion in our properties and community?

I would love for Airbnb to provide more in the area of inclusion and diversity. Some simple ideas include branded door/window stickers, badges, and an area on our listing that shows we provide safe space and inclusive communities as hosts. 

Curious, if and what you have done that has been a positive action offering inclusivity for your guests.

23 Replies 23
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Karen1100,  this is a wonderful topic 🌟 Thank you so much for bringing it to our community.

While our amazing Hosts share their opinions, I wanted to share this Airbnb resource on 👉diversity and inclusion that could offer some great insights.

Looking forward to reading all the comments from our Hosts on this topic 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Karen1100 - ever since I added this badge to my listing's photos, I saw an increase in guests of diverse backgrounds:

AAWH_Badge_Square_Reverse_150px.png

I bought the license from this company - https://allarewelcomehere.us/ - for a very reasonable price.  They also sell buttons, stickers, water bottles, window clings, and many other related products.  I have nothing to do with the company - I found them online when I was looking for something to add to my listing.

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Aw, it's sweet that people are making money out of diversity and inclusion 😐

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can always create your own design using something like the free version of Canva @Patricia55 

Patricia55
Level 10

I suppose I could @Helen3... just not sure I want to! We welcome people from all over the world - as long as they're decent human beings! Not a fan of signage in general, in our listing or home. I mean, how many signs would I need to use to welcome all the people of different religions, cultures, sexual orientations... ?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Ah from your initial response I thought you were concerned about the cost of the designs @Ann72 posted about 

Patricia55
Level 10

Ah, which part of my response @Helen3 made you think I was concerned about the *cost of designs*? I'm intrigued to know.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This comment @Patricia55 Aw, it's sweet that people are making money out of diversity and inclusion 😐

Patricia55
Level 10

Oh dear @Helen3 , I should've made it clearer: that was sarcasm.. with a splash of cynicism 😉

@Patricia55  Just one that says “all”?

Patricia55
Level 10

aye, we all want good people, apart from the "**heads"... how do you get round those?

**[Inappropriate content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Patricia55
Level 10

@Ann72 

But isn't that so generic as to be meaningless?

Also, isn't it “a given” that all people are welcome, for a host on Airbnb?

On the other hand, if only there were a magical sign that could deter the types of guests (bad people) whom none of us want... 😉💪

@Patricia55  I put myself in the shoes of people who face uncertainty when traveling - uncertainty about how they'll be welcomed or treated.  A simple sign such as the one in my listing might provide them some reassurance.

If  ** a hater of any kind doesn't book because of the sign in my listing...I'll never know, of course, but it wouldn't bother me.  They'd probably make a federal case about it and say they don't feel welcome because of the sign lol.

**[Generalizing Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines

Patricia55
Level 10

Trying to DM you... I get told I've reached the limit... except I don't think I've DM'd anyone in months! 😂