If a potential guest has zero reviews, is it okay to bring that up before accepting them and then ask more questions?

Jon2761
Level 7
San Anselmo, CA

If a potential guest has zero reviews, is it okay to bring that up before accepting them and then ask more questions?

We've been hosting since July of this year, with six separate stays so far. Five of them were fantastic, but one was a nightmare - and she was the only one who had no reviews. So now we're skittish about accepting anyone without reviews, although that doesn't seem entirely fair to them if there is a legitimate reason. What is your policy for accepting guests with no reviews? BTW we are NOT on instant-book.

Thanks so much for your help!

Nancy
5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jon2761 

You can see if the guest recently created the account.

I allways ask such guests some questions like:

- Is this the first time you book on Airbnb (as no reviews)?

- what is the purpose of your stay (especcially when it is more then 3 nights)

- you need to verify ID before i can accept (if no ID)

Most guests simply answer the questions and cooperate (ID verification).

If they don't or give "vague" answers or when i am in doubt: I do not accept.

I hosted several guests without reviews (new accounts). No problems encountered, except 1 (I was in doubt, but still accepted...lesson learned)

Best regards

Emiel

@Emiel1 

Thanks for your response! May I ask how the prospective guest would verify their ID before their booking is accepted (we don't use IB), because this is a good idea.

Nancy

@Jon2761  https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1237/how-does-it-work-when-airbnb-verifies-your-identity

Just don't put too much stock in a guest having 'verified identity'. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jon2761 We have hosted many people with no reviews. Only a couple who came for work were not perfect and even these were only messy so no real damage caused. Have we got lucky? maybe but in pandemic times with lots of staycations there are many new customers on the platform.

Another thing to bear in mind is that guests also need to take a chance on a host if they are new with few reviews....

Finally if you are asking questions of potential guests just make sure you don't ask anything that is protected by which I mean race, gender, support animals etc.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Thanks for your response, you make excellent points. 

Nancy