Inaccurate description of accommodation and no refund

Simona554
Level 2
Denver, CO

Inaccurate description of accommodation and no refund

The place I booked for 3 nights was dirty like nobody cleaned after the previous guests and there was a toilet issue not mentioned in the description. The issue with the toilet was pretty big since we should have stayed 3 nights and collect the dirty toilet paper in a bucket instead of flushing it in the toilet. This is a detail that cannot be mentioned in the description.  We spent there 5 minutes, the time to book a different place. The host never even said sorry for the dirty place. She doesn't want to refund either do Airbnb. I found this unacceptable. 

10 Replies 10
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Simona554  There's certainly no valid excuse for a host to accept guests to a dirty house. Cleanliness is the least a guest should be able to expect.

You don't say what the "issue" was with the toilet, but I can tell you that it is quite normal in some places for toilet paper to be put into a pail or wastebasket, rather than flushed. There are many countries where this is standard practice, as the plumbing infrastructure isn't capable of handling toilet paper, and it isn't considered to be an "issue" at all, it's just the way things are done. A host in those places wouldn't think to mention it in the listing, as it's just something normal where they live that everyone does. Also, even in countries where this isn't standard practice, some remote or rural homes which are on a private septic system don't want people to flush toilet paper, as it can damage the system.

If this was the case, then you really have no cause for complaint about simply being asked to put the tp in a pail. But a dirty place is a cause for complaint and the host should have come right over or sent someone to clean it properly.

And protocol for Airbnb guests (this is stated by Airbnb in their information for guests) is to first notify the host if you arrive and find a unacceptable situation, to give the host an opportunity to address it. Sometimes things can happen that the host might not know, like the cleaning person was supposed to show up to clean that morning, but didn't, and the host isn't even aware of it. Or maybe the stove stopped working when the last guests were there, but they ever bothered to let the host know because they weren't really into cooking anyway and just went out to eat instead.

Perhaps the host might have sent someone to clean if you had done that, rather than cancelling immediately. If the host is unresponsive, or rude, or says they can't or won't do anything to correct a problem, then you call Airbnb and cancel. Had you done it that way, which it seems you didn't, you might have been more likely to have Airbnb grant you a refund.

Thank you for your reply. The host promised enhanced cleaning because of the pandemic and clearly nobody cleaned after the previous guests left. I don’t think it’s fair. When I contacted the host, she didn’t apologized for it, she just asked for the pictures and says Airbnb would refund me. Didn’t get any refund. The issue with the toilet I think should be mentioned in the description, it’s In USA, people don’t expect it. Plus, I should have collected it in a bucket without lid, for 3 days, without possibly to empty? 

@Simona554 Are you seeking advice for how to proceed, or has your issue already been resolved?

I agree with @Sarah977  here - depending on the country you're visiting, it may well be normal that a household doesn't have access to the kind of plumbing that can handle toilet paper. People who have only visited rich countries may not realize this, but TP flushing is globally the exception, not the rule. But the host should provide a wastebasket, ideally with a lid, and an appropriate place to empty it. There's no reason this should be announced in the listing - it's not as though it somehow makes the toilet unusable.

Cleanliness is another issue, and if you were only in the property for 5 minutes it's hard to know whether it was a solvable problem. I see your profile has no reviews - do you have any prior experiences with Airbnb, or other home-sharing services in the region you're currently visiting? Did the listing have prior reviews indicating anything about the sanitation standards?

Thank you for your answer. Please see my reply above. I’d like suggestions on how to proceed. The host doesn’t reply. Airbnb says she denied the refund. The host just makes me mad because she doesn’t care at all about her guests. 

@Simona554  The process for pursuing a refund is detailed here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/544/what-is-airbnbs-guest-refund-policy-for-stays

If your correspondence with the host occurred within Airbnb messenger, the host's comment that "Airbnb will refund you" sounds like she was basically authorizing a refund. A thoughtful CS operator might take note that you didn't follow through with photos because the host assured you a refund was due. If the communication happened outside of Airbnb, though, you'd probably need evidence.

The thing about toilet paper is not really a refund issue, unless the pail hadn't been emptied from the previous guests (eeew). The host's communication - also, doesn't sound very hospitable, but Airbnb doesn't mandate social skills. These are both things you can mention in your review.

Once again, what did the other recent reviews of this place have to say about it?  

Simona554
Level 2
Denver, CO

I did message her throw Airbnb and sent pictures too. Some reviews are good, some bad. The most recent reviews aren't good. Mine doesn't show up at all.

I lost a lot of money and time on this and I'm really disappointed that the only thing I heard from Airbnb is she denied the refund. I'll check with my bank if I can do something to get back my money. Airbnb doesn't safeguard the guests. 

@Simona554  Your review will appear when the host posts her review of you -  or, if she doesn't, it's automatically published 14 days after your checkout.

@Simona554  As you say some of the reviews were bad, and the most recent ones are bad, it begs the question why you booked it in the first place if it had bad reviews? Why would you think you'd find the place any more acceptable than the guests who left bad reviews?

Make sure to tell Airbnb not only that the place was dirty and obviously hadn't been cleaned, or at least to what you would consider reasonable standards, but that the host advertises enhanced cleaning for COVID, when quite obviously that isn't being done. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Yes, I think that this is the point that might most successfully result in a refund, i.e. host advertises enhanced cleaning protocol but guest's photos prove even basic cleaning was not done.

I've had friends and guests tell me they stayed in some really filthy Airbnbs (especially in Paris for some reason). I don't know how some hosts get away with it, but I also don't understand why anyone would book a listing with bad reviews (except for the odd outlier one surrounded by otherwise glowing ones) when there is so much choice on offer.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Simona554   I gather you have been given information about the procedure for the refund and have followed that procedure.  Air BNB generally will be sympathetic with the guest but at this current time there are often long wait times for the actual refund.  I am fairly certain the CS person did not provide proper advice.  A host might deny the refund and cancellation as a host might be punished if the cancellation is seen as a host cancellation.  The next step is for you to cancel and seek refund based on the pictures you sent and the message from the host.  Alternatively since you should also seek to disagree with the credit charge based on your not staying at the listing.  As to a review, your review will not show up until the host posts a review or 14 days after you post your review which ever comes first.