Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Issues with local bookings

Jennifer1775
Level 2
Columbus, OH

Issues with local bookings

I’m a host who has always listed a private room in my home, but I have recently started to host for a friend who owns a duplex. This is an entire apartment space. I have already had issues with two guests who live locally trying to book to “hang out” at the place. I know that there are people who have Airbnb parties in my area and I’m wondering how to handle this. Airbnb recommended that I take off the Instant book feature, which I have always used in the past. I’m wondering if there is another option to filter out these individuals using the space negatively? Also, I’m wondering how not using Instant book really effects bookings. Airbnb says you can get 50% less which is a large amount. 

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I think hosting a room versus hosting an entire space has different requirements.  A local booking a private room could be legit or could be part of the sex industry.  A local booking an entire home, is probably a party unless there is communication otherwise.  I would not have IB for the entire home.  The potential for damage is much greater in an entire home.  Obviously you have to do what the owner wants, but maybe until you have more experience, you are conservative.  

Although I agree, the potential for damage is greater, it hasn't been the incase for our whole house rental. Removing instant booking is a reservation killer. You can always only allow those with good ratings to be able to book. Camera on the front door is a must. I have only received on "hang out" request. That group tried to only pay for 2 people instead of 4 and tried to sneak in an additional two. I think vague requests should be declined.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jennifer1775 Instant book does help with listing search placement. If you keep instant book on for the duplex, set the requirement of 'recommendations from other hosts', and good reviews only. Just don't trust in this completely, as it's not always fail safe. Locals with new profiles, no reviews, skimpy profile details/old profiles with no reviews are risky. You or the owner or a caretaker of some sort really needs to live nearby to be onsite in short order if need be. 

Install cameras (disclose prominently in listing, to cover your butt and to discourage would-be partiers) that can be monitored in real time so if a party does happen, someone can be there to evict and shut it down the minute one extra unregistered person steps through the door. Specify up front in the listing description and rules that extra unauthorized people on the property are cause for immediate termination of stay. Best to have someone there for check-in...require ID to be shown...note this requirement in your rules/description, with a view to discouraging these who want to get up to no good.

You could also put in your description that local people MUST send a request to book only...no instant booking. May get ignored or overlooked, but it could help. 

If you get a local booking, you'll have their full name and ph#, so look them up online and see if any red flags come up. Ask them direct questions about what their plans are and remind of the rules, re extra people etc. You have a bit of leeway to cancel an IB reservation, especially if it's waving red flags.

Instant book for a place like the duplex takes some extra care and attention, but once you get the right protocol and protections  in place, could be doable. Proceed with caution.