Key takeaways from CEO Brian Chesky’s message to our hosts

Airbnb
Official Account

Key takeaways from CEO Brian Chesky’s message to our hosts

Over the past three weeks, we've held more than 50 online listening sessions with hosts from around the world, tracking every suggestion to learn where you’re hurting the most and how Airbnb can support you. 

Speaking from his home in San Francisco on Monday, CEO Brian Chesky announced three key initiatives and programs aimed specifically at helping our hosts:

1. We’re investing $250 million USD to share in the cost of COVID-19 cancellations.

We’re providing updated coverage under our extenuating circumstances policy for accommodation reservations booked on or before March 14 and with a check-in between March 14 and May 31, 2020. If a guest cancels an eligible reservation in this window, we’ll pay you 25% of what you would normally receive through your cancellation policy. For example, if you would’ve received $400 USD for a normal cancellation, we'll pay you 25% of that—or $100 USD. This cost will be covered entirely by Airbnb, with no impact to the guest. We view this as an investment in our future together.

Reservations booked after March 14 will not qualify for the COVID-19-related extenuating circumstances cancellations. Learn more at Airbnb.com/250MSupport.

2. We’re creating a $10 million USD relief fund for Superhosts and Airbnb Experiences hosts.

We know some of you are facing serious financial hardships, and we want to help. This fund will offer grants to Superhosts and Experiences hosts who need money to stay in the homes they live in. 

Our employees started the fund by raising the first $1 million USD, and our founders contributed the additional $9 million USD. Learn more about who is eligible at Airbnb.com/superhostrelief.

3. We’re making it easy for your previous guests to add contributions that go to you directly.

Just a few weeks ago, our global community was bringing more than 2 million people together every day. Collectively, you've made many millions of people feel at home. And thousands of them have told us how grateful they are for your flexibility—so we’re making it easy for them to help. We'll reach out to guests who’ve stayed with you recently and left 5-star reviews to ask if they want to send a note and a contribution in connection with a previous reservation. You will receive 100% of any guest contributions. 

This is just a start

We know many of you want—or need—to host right now, whether on the front lines or for people who live nearby. To help further support you, we’re also working on the following:

We will get through this together

Airbnb and our community are facing this challenging time together. We’ll continue working day and night toward solutions, and we’ll communicate regularly and transparently on the steps we’re taking to help you. We’re adapting in real time to the changing situation, but what doesn’t change is that when travel returns, your homes are the places where people want to stay.

At the core of our business is what is core to the human experience—that fundamental desire to connect and explore. It will take time to bounce back, but we will bounce back together. As always, thank you for being part of the Airbnb community, and thank you for all that you do to help us create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. 

448 Replies 448
Lucy617
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I'm interested to know where the travel insurance firms are in this. Surely this is what travel insurance is for? 

@Lucy617  No, travel insurance is meant to cover normal extenuating circumstances- a death in the family, the traveller getting sick and ot being able to travel, cancelled flights, etc. Most travel insurance has a disclaimer for pandemic situations. 

@Sarah977

"Most travel insurance has a disclaimer for pandemic situations" 

The key word there being "most" - not "all" The fact remains, that both prior to and at the time of this outbreak, many insurance providers absolutely did provide insurance with pandemic cover. If a traveller chose not to take their own responsibility for their own travel disruptions, by purchasing their own sufficiently  comprehensive insurance package to cover for all eventualities, then reason, logic and fairness dictate that it is wholly inappropriate to expect complete strangers to cover any and all losses incurred by the traveller's own negligence.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility and accountability? 

Belinda,

AirBnB is more than just a platform. It has complete power over us. There are no real alternatives unless you call the pathetic attempt of Booking.com to compete in this niche a real option

Natalie127
Level 2
South Australia, Australia

I may be wrong, but if hosts offer a 10% discount, the guests pay in full for cancelling....surely a 10% discount gives a competitive edge. I chose not to, because I feel it cheapens the product and the platform. 

I am curious, how does it cheapen the product?

I use the 10% discount because it gives the guest the opportunity to choose to take the risk or not. If they choose to take the 10% discount, I don't feel bad enforcing my policy. Everyone has a sob story about why they are canceling and I find myself refunding them regardless of my policy. When they choose the 10% I just remind them that they chose to take the risk.

When I went to Hawaii I chose the more expensive rate and it gave me peace of mind that I could cancel if something happened and I couldn't go.  

I don't see how it cheapens the product. I would like your perspective on this.

@Natalie127  Airbnb is overrriding all  cancellation policies right now. The non-refundable 10% option, as well. And even before this COVID crisis, they were overriding that policy if the guest managed to convince them of an extenuating circumstance.

That is true we chose a flexible policy, but that doesn't mean we didn't get the rug pulled out from under us.  It is rare that everyone cancels, so a flexible policy makes sense.  I don't necessarily think Airbnb owes me for the cancelations. I personally wasn't expecting anything, but if they are going to help some, they should help everyone!

Really? When AirBnB dictates the entire framework and can change the rules at a whim? There is no competitive market for platforms - there is only one - AirBnB. Booking has entered the niche, but they are largely incompetent and they charge the same 15% commissions and dictate the terms just like AirBnB.

Susan1188

I agree with what you say.

I have been a superhost for years in all my listings.

I continue investing in them and have a STRICT policy.

Having said this I feel this fund is a joke because in any case perhaps all my bookings between March 14th and May 31st (except maybe one) have been canceled more than 30 days in advance.

So I get nothing even with a STRICT policy.

But Airbnb well knew this before implementing this fund, so this really hurts even more.

I wish they had done nothing, I would have felt much better.

Right now just cancelling your guests past May 30 is a problem.

I am a Superhost and need to cancel what is on the books now.

Then clean and reconsider COVID19 hosting.

I will be penalized if I cancel them.

Really? Hosts are not robots.

Not sure if you will be penalised ie your S/host status - call Airbnb asap. I read any S/hosts would not be penalised, but today I received a message to say that I had lost my S/host status. I am devastated about that more than anything.

Now, I am unsure about elements of Chesky's speech, it would be nice if previous guests donated, if in fact they actually do.

@Belinda55 , unfortunately I fall into that zone, had 4 large ones cancel just yesterday and Im probably going to keep the flex policy in place because long term, it fits my business model better and actually nets me more bookings in the end (once covid is done!   Im lucky and have full-time employment that is paying the bills but the Bearpath Lodging's account has diminished in the last month significantly!  The insurance options for me and my guests could be interesting but I suspect the costs will be prohibitive until Covid isn't an issue anymore.  Hopefully we can bring the world through this and be better prepared for such a thing like it in the future much better.  Stay safe, JR

No good deed goes unpunished. I have been a Superhost for 5 years full time and I’ve kept my flexible cancellation policy for the benefit of my booking families/guests. In those five years I’ve had 3 cancellations. Being generous and understanding has given me more bookings because folks don’t have to worry about losing money when emergencies arise. This Pandemic is not a singular emergency! Airbnb is doing a huge disservice to Superhosts with flexible cancellation policies. We get ZERO. I’ve been treated unfairly by Airbnb in the recent past when a guest made false accusations. Airbnb thinks they are a sovereign nation who creates the rules:  Hosts are guilty until proven innocent; and, In the face of worldwide pandemic, Airbnb will not treat all Hosts fairly.      
Looks like we will have to find another platform or sell. I used to sing Airbnb praises. Never again. 

We've been Superhosts since the program started with a moderate policy.  So that means nothing for us... grrrrr.