Key takeaways from CEO Brian Chesky’s message to our hosts

Airbnb
Official Account

Key takeaways from CEO Brian Chesky’s message to our hosts

Over the past three weeks, we've held more than 50 online listening sessions with hosts from around the world, tracking every suggestion to learn where you’re hurting the most and how Airbnb can support you. 

Speaking from his home in San Francisco on Monday, CEO Brian Chesky announced three key initiatives and programs aimed specifically at helping our hosts:

1. We’re investing $250 million USD to share in the cost of COVID-19 cancellations.

We’re providing updated coverage under our extenuating circumstances policy for accommodation reservations booked on or before March 14 and with a check-in between March 14 and May 31, 2020. If a guest cancels an eligible reservation in this window, we’ll pay you 25% of what you would normally receive through your cancellation policy. For example, if you would’ve received $400 USD for a normal cancellation, we'll pay you 25% of that—or $100 USD. This cost will be covered entirely by Airbnb, with no impact to the guest. We view this as an investment in our future together.

Reservations booked after March 14 will not qualify for the COVID-19-related extenuating circumstances cancellations. Learn more at Airbnb.com/250MSupport.

2. We’re creating a $10 million USD relief fund for Superhosts and Airbnb Experiences hosts.

We know some of you are facing serious financial hardships, and we want to help. This fund will offer grants to Superhosts and Experiences hosts who need money to stay in the homes they live in. 

Our employees started the fund by raising the first $1 million USD, and our founders contributed the additional $9 million USD. Learn more about who is eligible at Airbnb.com/superhostrelief.

3. We’re making it easy for your previous guests to add contributions that go to you directly.

Just a few weeks ago, our global community was bringing more than 2 million people together every day. Collectively, you've made many millions of people feel at home. And thousands of them have told us how grateful they are for your flexibility—so we’re making it easy for them to help. We'll reach out to guests who’ve stayed with you recently and left 5-star reviews to ask if they want to send a note and a contribution in connection with a previous reservation. You will receive 100% of any guest contributions. 

This is just a start

We know many of you want—or need—to host right now, whether on the front lines or for people who live nearby. To help further support you, we’re also working on the following:

We will get through this together

Airbnb and our community are facing this challenging time together. We’ll continue working day and night toward solutions, and we’ll communicate regularly and transparently on the steps we’re taking to help you. We’re adapting in real time to the changing situation, but what doesn’t change is that when travel returns, your homes are the places where people want to stay.

At the core of our business is what is core to the human experience—that fundamental desire to connect and explore. It will take time to bounce back, but we will bounce back together. As always, thank you for being part of the Airbnb community, and thank you for all that you do to help us create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. 

448 Replies 448

@JohnAndTeresa0 I felt the same way. I avidly read all communication from Airbnb, because I take my hosting seriously. I only found out about this broadcast when I stumbled into the community center looking for an answer to my guests cancelling dilemma, after being unable to reach customer service. And then - I had to click around until I actually found the correct page to view what was a very short announcement. My county executive is regularly holding  90 minute town meetings and I feel very well informed in my local community. I felt we were entitled to more than this brief announcement that went into very little detail. I’m pleased by the programs that were offered. But now face the daunting task of figuring out what they mean and how to apply. 

Agreed! I could not find the video feed either. Where was it buried?

Definitely was never invited to any of the "conversation sessions" or whatever they call it

"Definitely was never invited to any of the "conversation sessions" or whatever they call it"

I don't know anyone who has... 

Exactly - clearly shows what their true intentions are: not to do the right thing by the hosts but to cover basis for a lawsuit. If they did care about hosts, if anything, they'd positively discriminate hosts who did have a flexible cancelation policy, not the other way around.

I think this will definitely have an impact on the platform moving forward and can see hosts switching to strict cancelation policies given Airbnb's lack of commitment.

Sam163
Level 7
Herstmonceux, United Kingdom

I wonder how many Airbnb hosts are also lawyers? Do we have any international property lawyers in the house?

I would like to know if that is right. I have a lenient cancellation policy and I have had several cancelations due to Covid-19 and I imagine no one else is going to book.  I don't think the cancellation policy should matter.   

Boris145
Level 3
Yerevan, Armenia

The link you have provided does not have the application to apply. 

Yes I am looking for application form as well 

"you will be invited" (maybe)

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Boris145 @Bernie88 @Michael293 ,

No need to apply, you will automatically be contacted if you fit the criteria. 

Many thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

So if I don't charge a cancellation fee I lose all my guests and get nothing.  But if I charge a cancellation fee I lose all my guests and at least get 25% of my cancellation fee.

Is Airbnb encouraging the hosts to establish a cancellation fee in the future?

It seems right. Nice guys always finish last. I am surprised that they didn't think this through. 

I didn't understand it that way.  I understood that if a guest cancelled because of COVID-19 issues, we will receive 25% of what the booking would have generated.   I didn't hear that it has anything to do with whether or not we charged a cancellation fee.  

@Leslie582 Devil in the detail ”Airbnb will pay the host 25% of what they would normally receive through their cancellation policy”