Lowest amount worth asking from guest for damages

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Lowest amount worth asking from guest for damages

This subject has been discussed a lot in terms of dollar value however it is important to remember the cost of rental per night. What is the minimum percentage of the nightly rate do you think should be? Someone who is doing a home share can not afford a new set of linens every turn over. I have (rather had) multiple properties and bought linens in bulk. It was not a big deal to throw a set out every few stays. 

The group that checked out today broke multiple glasses (total loss $6- came across them on sale at Homegoods and stocked up), a lamp (Walmart, $14, was at the store buying something else anyway). They smoked on the property. Not inside, ozone machine will get rid of any smell inside, I already own it. There are two ways of looking at it: actual loss is $20, they paid $600 for the stay, I am moving on. Or: I charge $500 smoking remediation fee that is in my listing. I did have to buy the machine at some point and the cost should to be divided between smoking fees paid by various guests. My housekeeper spent extra time cleaning and we had to launder more than usual. I was stressed. The broken items have to be bought. I have to go to the store or pay shipping fee, put them together etc. I could go all out and ask full remediation fee and whatever a nice similar item costs today. I do not owe them going from store to store to find the glasses on sale. Plus they won’t match any more so technically I should be able to buy a whole new set. 

In light of the total cost of reservation, what would you recommend?

17 Replies 17

@Anonymous I have never had anyone agree to pay voluneraly. I do not go after smaller amounts for all the reasons you have indicated and people do not want to cough up the bigger sums I guess. This particular group ceased all communication immediately after check out. They actually left behind two pairs of nearly brand new expensive sneakers. I have been texting and calling them to get those back to them. As I am typing this response to you I have just thought of something - if they can afford to leave $300 worth of sneakers behind, they should be able to afford to pay for damage. That is not of course how they view the situation. 

@Inna22  Well I would stop being the slightest bit concerned about getting those expensive sneakers back to them and consider it part of your due at this point. Hopefully they fit someone in your family and you can make use of them.

I only once had a guest break something, or rather it broke while she was using it. I was standing in the kitchen chatting with her when she was chopping up veggies for her dinner, using my favorite small sharp knife. The wooden handle suddenly snapped off the blade and she looked aghast and said immediately "I'm so sorry, I'll buy you a new one." But I laughed and said no worries, that was my 5th knife like that and the handles always eventually snap off, as I'm forgetful about not just throwing them in the sink with the rest of the dirty dishes, so the wood rots, and that I have 4 broken off blades in the shed that I use for other things.

@Sarah977  I definitely have a favorite knife!