Maintaining a 5 stars rating

Sebastian1001
Host Advisory Board Member
Orléans, France

Maintaining a 5 stars rating

Screenshot 2022-06-10 at 13.04.30.png

Hi, 

How do you manage to keep your ratings as high as possible? In my opinion, it's often the little details that make all the difference, don't you think? 

Starting with a short message to your guest thanking him for his booking and reminding him of the access information to your listing, the rules of the house and other practical advice. I find that the more clear and precise information we give in advance, the more we avoid misunderstandings and unpleasant surprises… Another detail, for example, consists of setting the arrival time of your guest, already to avoid you waiting unnecessarily and to reassure him. A small candy on the pillow, a courtesy tray with tea or coffee, shampoo and shower gel, decoration that is not 100% IKEA but rather a mix of modern and second-hand items to stand out from other accommodations. Be available for your guest while remaining discreet. Be professional but not cold in the relationship. Provide quick solutions and responses to the guest. This is my idea of ​​wholesale hospitality. 

What do you think? Thank you for your feedback!

Sebastian

67 Replies 67
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Gillian166 I appreciate the feedback that you've shared on various threads on the CC. I can see you have been a member of the community for quite some time, and while you know threads can sometimes go off-topic, I'm sure you're also familiar with the Community Guidelines that we have in place to ensure conversations remain on-topic and respectful. If you are unsure, please take a look at the guidelines here

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sebastian1001 

Sorry Sebastian, my comments were not designed to be an attack on you personally, I would absolutely welcome the involvement of the HAB members here as much as possible, because you guys are part of us.....you are part of the hosting community.

My comments were directed more at the concept of the board itself, not the individual members. I think you guys are to be congratulated for putting your hands up and taking part in what is obviously a challenging role. You have us on one side with a particular agenda in mind, and management on the other side with an entirely different agenda in mind and I know you are trying your best to find a middle ground. 

It must be hard to play the part of referee, I guess part of you must scream with frustration at times........ I know it would if it were me in your position!

If there is anything you can gain from this community you have it with our blessing and the more communication we have with you, the better.

All the best Sebastian.

Cheers......Rob

@Delphine348  @Felicity11  @Stephanie 

Sebastian1001
Orléans, France

hello Rob and thank you for your return I do not hide from you that it actually surprised me a little to see this kind of reaction, also like that of @Gillian166  following my interventions.

we are an open and welcoming community, without discrimination and in the acceptance of the other. unfortunately we never met personally, you don't know me. I speak in the community center as a host since 2016 on the platform and not as a member of the advisory board. I just wanted to clarify that to make it clear to everyone.

I am now 44 years old and have 20 years of experience in the tourism sector, in hotels, restaurants and press relations and tourist promotion. I think that on certain subjects I can actually bring experience and a certain expertise to help the hosts of our platform, mutual aid being a fundamental value of our community. Best

Sebastian

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

gosh @Robin4  what could possibly be going on that would make the HAB members suddenly posting all these distracting puff pieces? 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I COULD SCREAM. 

This is a guest who I bent over backwards for. She invited her daughter over for the last night (both slept here) and I said nothing/charged no extra. She left a dress here which she's asked me to mail to her in Missouri (I'm going to Miami next week so will have to drag it along/find a post office).

Come on Airbnb, surely you're better than this location nonsense? 

@Robin4 @Huma0 

Screenshot 2022-06-12 at 17.43.06.png

@Gordon0 the new rollout seems to not give a hoot where we are located . Its like pin the tail o

n the donkey . Location seriously is or was available ,and within the actual neighbourhood, and street , but thats the bit that is being made worse deliberately by Airbnb.I could scream too . Aghhhhhh  but like that old movie says ' no body hears you scream' Its like the twilight zone H

@Gordon0  that is maddening. I feel you. People want to be right next door to Buck palace when they visit London. anywhere else is a 4*. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 

The location category has always been a bone of contention with hosts. Airbnb's response has always been that it's important for the guests and that we shouldn't worry because it doesn't count towards the Superhost rating.

I disagree with this for a number of reasons, e.g. the guest chooses the location prior to booking and is should do their own research on this. The only reason to downrate on location is if it isn't as described, in which case, you don't need the location rating, as this is covered by the accuracy one. The location rating, in my opinion, is absolutely the most subjective one. One of my rooms gets a much lower location rating than the other two but all three are in the same location! The only difference is that the room with the lower rating faces pretty gardens and the rooms with the higher ratings face a busy road and a council estate. Go figure.

I wonder now how the ridiculous new search function, which seems designed to show guests locations that they are not looking for and hides ones in the location that they might be searching for in the first place, is going to affect this. I can't believe it's going to be for the better.

I recently got an enquiry from a guest asking if my neighbourhood was safe. She clearly had no idea from what the map had shown her of where my house was actually located. I know she can't see the exact location prior to booking, but it should show her a radius that would allow her to see which neighbourhood she was going to be in, but no, she had no clue. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

As it happens, @Huma0, I wrote to this guest (she'd emailed me about mailing her dress) asking why she'd biffed me and, I quote: "The location was fantastic, but a little too far from where my daughter was studying [in Kensington]"

I'm still undecided whether I'l be mailing said dress from Miami or London...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 

Arrrrrrrgggghhhh!!!!

Oh, that would drive me insane. I wonder if people realise after they write something that stupid that they have just written something really stupid??

I also had a couple rate me down on location, but they specifically chose my listing because it was a few minute's walk from where their daughter lived. I was astonished by that at the time, but maybe they didn't approve of where their daughter lived? Who knows. The annoying thing is that they don't realise that they are affecting a host's livelihood by giving these non-sensical ratings. They do it off the cuff. However, Airbnb is largely to blame here for giving the guests the impression that 4* means very good and 3* means good when, in reality, it means something quite different.

Fatih13
Level 3
İstanbul, Turkey

What you say is very true, I agree with your ideas.

by FatihUNAL
Delphine348
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hi @Sebastian1001 ,

As a host, I feel  I am always learning from my guests even it is sometimes in the hard way.

I recently received a group of seniors bikers guests and the one who handled the reservation was not familiar with Airbnb.

He refused to download the app on his phone, and refused any notification. He managed to remove his photo from his Airbnb profile after I accepted his reservation.

I had an exchange with CS about it, and decided to call the guest to tell him he will have to show me his ID upon arrival. Had he refused, I would have cancelled his stay.

I had to call him to give all the informations he wouldn't bother to check on the message and get the informations I needed from him. He never received my guide as he wasn't comfortable with e mails neither.

I understood that he was giving a try to this new way of booking a place and was kind of technophobic. He was always responsive by phone.

I texted him because we had a big issue with the main portal and I offered to put their bikes in our place 500 meters far from the house. I did my best, called several professionals and finally was able to get the portal repaired in time!

I welcomed them and the group was very happy discovering the house.

All their stay went well, they left the house spotless and I had a nice conversation with them about all the renovation work we did.

Although I was anxious about his understanding of the review principle, I didn't dare to mention that 4* is not a good rate, I just asked him to review because it helps me to progress.

I discovered a kind review from him in my guest book on site.

And......

I received a 4* on each and every topic except cleanliness - and an overall 5*!

I quote:

Public comment

Very good welcome from Delphine. Four days before our arrival, she informed me that a portal was dug out and therefore could not be closed meter . However, she was able to find a repairer to make the portal work when we arrived!

Private remark

Hello Delphine and thank you for your friendly welcome. Everything was very good: Complete equipment, cleanliness, interior layout ,wc , s. of bath, kitchens ........ , except maybe the gravel that wasn’t ideal for our bikes. In any case we have advised our friends from La Chapelle La Reine to recommend your cottage to potential visitors .

On my side, I gave him a 4 on communication and mentioned that he doesn't want the app on his phone so it is better to communicate by SMS. I still recommend him because he is a good guest anyway.

The fact is I can't blame him, he is not familiar with Uber, Amazon or Airbnb way of dealing with under 5* notation.

As many French people, particularly of his age (born in the 50's),  he thinks 4 is good and 5 is outstanding. 

New lesson learned: 

Next time with this type of new and senior guest, I will be direct about notation impact and how to fill in comment and private note.

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Delphine348 

Delphine, this is your turf, you do need to 'guide' the guest as to their perception of your property.

I said in another thread .......Apart from being an old building my listing cottage has a comprehensive library of old books, some of them dating back to the 1870's. Now the problem with old books is, they smell musty and despite the fact that the cottage has a filtration system that musty smell still comes through when you enter the cottage. 

I say to guests, "I am afraid that musty smell comes from all the old books, clean as much as I do I can't get rid of it. My only option would be to remove the books but, I think they and the smell that goes with them gives the building a bit of character, what do you think?" Delphine, they all agree and most of them give me a 5 star for cleanliness.

If you give guests a rationale for something they will accept it, this is preferable to letting them make their own judgement call which they would sometimes spring to their own conclusion as, the property being mouldy!

Cheers........Rob

Delphine348
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hi @Robin4 ,

I would love to see your old books, as a child I spent a lot of time reading old books in my parents bookshelves! Yes it has a special smell indeed.

Like you, I spend time to explain at my guest arrival as much as I can without bothering them.

It is indeed a good habit to prevent a low rating.

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)
Sebastian1001
Orléans, France

Hello @Delphine348  and yes you are absolutely right, being a host we learn every day! It's normal when working with people because each person is different, unique with their own beliefs, fears, needs and expectations... We are not machines and we always do our best, that's all who matters i think