Make the most of every day

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Make the most of every day

I got a photo of my youngest grand daughter Ivy this afternoon, and it rather shocked me as to how time is getting away from me.

Resized_20200524_142751.jpeg

It was only 3 years ago and we held her as a baby....

Resized_20160808_145901.jpeg

Older grand daughter Madison is the most wonderful creation. She is on the spectrum, is Autistic and after year two she probably won't be able to continue mainstream schooling! But my God she is going to be a great musician. At nearly 7 she is playing the piano and the guitar.

Resized_20200412_131054.jpeg

I had missed spending more time with her!

That current photo of Ivy has made me realise how much we miss out on in life because we are all the time chasing something we really don't need to chase.

I have enjoyed having a break from hosting, being able to spend time reminiscing and talking with my kids, my neighbours and my friends. 

Hosting does sort of take over your life, we are all the time preoccupied with that next guest! In a way I hope I don't slip back into the way I was last year. I need to devote more time to Ade and the kids.....

But Airbnb is relentless! I lost all my bookings of course back at the end of March and start of April, but things are okay here now....the virus has gone so I opened up my booking calendar again on Wed 6th May thinking I may a guest or two per month until the world gets back to normal. From empty calendar we went to this........

Post COVID-19 bookings.png

And there you go, we are straight back into it again.....13 bookings in two weeks. 

People naturally want to get away from home, experience something new and it looks like, as we come out of the social distancing thing, we as hosts are going to have a lot of business on our hands. Most of my new bookings are locals who just want a night or two away from their house....they want to start living again.

This cloud does have a silver lining, I just hope I can get the balance right this time around....and get to hug those gorgeous grand kids a bit more.

Cheers.......Rob

16 Replies 16
Sue714
Level 5
Angaston, Australia

@Robin4 @Cathie19  We were unaware that we were eligible for “Jobkeeper payment” due to losing income from our bookings. Our accountant filled in the paperwork for us - so our calendar is blocked until things improve. (Alan works full time and the bnb was my hobbie type business.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I relish every bit of good news I can get! If ya got any, keep it coming, pretty please. There is need for all sorts of different kinds of brains within our human tribe, diversity is our strength & music is balm for the soul XO Sally