Marriage certificate in Morocco

Laila99
Level 2
Tangier, Morocco

Marriage certificate in Morocco

Hello everybody,

in Morocco, the law requires a marriage certificate to allow a Moroccan couple to share the same hotel room or same apartment, including Moroccans with dual nationality. This law does not apply to other nationals.

Also, a Moroccan lady is not allowed to share the same apartment with a foreigner without having a certificate of marriage, and a Moroccan man also is not allowed to share the apartment with a foreign lady without been married.

Who has ever has problems with guests bringing somebody from the opposite sex in Morocco without having a marriage certificate?

Most of the people they checked in alone and later on they try to bring their girlfriend or boyfriend without telling the host.

Have you ever had this issue?

In Morocco, you can be jailed for one month and be hit with a huge fine if you allow this in your place.

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Laila99 

So as a host you can be in serious trouble when a guest brings in other people (not registered on the reservation).

I had lately a very bad experience with a Moroccan lady from the Netherlands, checked in alone, with a different first and last name on the ID than the profile name. Brought later a man to the apartment, made noise until been notified by the neighbors. I am lucky my neighbours did not call the police, otherwise, I will be considered facilitating my house for prostitution.

A couple of weeks ago, a tenant in Tangier brought a child of 11 to his place, raped, killed and buried him. The landlord is still arrested because he did not take the ID of the killer, never notified  police

Laila99
Level 2
Tangier, Morocco

Yes, you can be considered as a partner in crime. You have to have evidence to protect yourself. Notify the police within 24 hours of the presence of your guests.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is quite interesting information @Laila99 

Thank you for sharing

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laila99 

I would advice 

1. You get off instant booking and interact with all guests before they book. During this time you can advice them on the need to read your full listing and rules, and also anything which may be deal breakers (eg.  for us, all rooms are only accessible by stairs), confirm who will be staying the check in/out dates. 

2. Please update your listing in "things to note" and "rules" as to include the information above and do specify that only guests listed in the reservation as able to gain access to the airbnb during their confirmed stay. If they fail to do, then contact Airbnb and have the remainder of the stay cancelled- siting the guest intents to break your rules. 

Hope this helps and good luck. 

Yadira 🙂

Sanae14
Level 2
Ksar es Seghir, Morocco

I was reading the above, definetely good advice 

im new and still need to learn lots of things.

can I ask a question about the night price plz