Message asking to receive a package or gift

Message asking to receive a package or gift

We’ve had two separate inquiries recently asking if they could receive packages at our rental before booking. One had for dates that weren’t even available and the dates inquired were different than in their message. Is there some package delivery scam going on? Are they after our address or contact? We’ve been instructing them to use the UPS store a block away and neither responded after that. But I can’t tell if this is a new scam, the first person seemed maybe legit. 

example messages

Hi. Your lovely place really caught our eye, we were just wondering if it's ok to ship a small package (a gift) to this location during our stay? We will be there to receive it, but just want to make sure the host is fine with this? Please let me know, thank you!

Hi I'm looking at your list and feels interested in it.

One more thing is I'm going to expect a package, can I receive a signature required package at the listed location? (I mean, does it have a separate address that I can use?) Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Michael-and-Lesley0   Possible scam, but you responded appropriately with using the local UPS store.  There are a lot of guests, especially long term (IMO over 2 weeks) who want to get mail or packages at the STR.  They are not all scam artists, but have no right to do so and can use local mailing facilities instead.  No one, especially a guest, should have mail delivered to your property.  I have registered with the post office and no mail is delivered to my property, but that won’t deter the Amazon truck.  Sigh.

I do remember reading an article about drug dealers who would have packages delivered to an address that was not their own and who would wait like porch thieves to take the package once delivered.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michael-and-Lesley0 

It could potentially be a scam if you are getting very similar messages within a short time period, but it could also just be a coincidence. If the guest is trying to get the address prior to booking, that's a bit of a red flag, but if they are just asking if it would be possible should they book, that's less suspicious.

I have in the past often had guests who ask if they can have a package or letter delivered to the house and that includes short term guests. They were not scammers, but it's not something that I will allow for a number of reasons and have this stated in my house rules. I have not had too many issues with this since I started getting strict about it. As you mentioned, there are alternatives they can use. 

See this thread for more discussion on the topic: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Do-you-let-guests-receive-mail/m-p/964607#M242042

@Michael-and-Lesley0   You were 100% correct to advise them to use a nearby collection center instead of your address. If they didn't reply to that, probably scammers.