New HAB members , you probably know but there is a CS problem at AIrbnb

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

New HAB members , you probably know but there is a CS problem at AIrbnb

Dear HAP Members (who are hosts (and Hosts that hang out here!),

Hosts here on our beloved CC have overwhelmingly rightfully pointed our fingers squarely at Airbnb's Customer Service system as broken and often the bane of our existence when we are in need, its in need of a Rehab ASAP.   I think others would agree that we as hosts do not get treated as priority customers anymore and have to wait way to long to find out that we were not listened too or understood and either we or our guests (or both) are gonna get a failing grade because of that.   

As highly rated  hosts, it would be reasonable to assume many or all of you have encountered the same issues dealing with the new CS departments as we do.   Modern day Inn Keeping is a 24/7/365 day a year constantly changing and evolving situations, our CS needs must reflect an urgency and transparency commensurate with job at hand.   Its been a year since Covid hit, claiming EC as the reason the CS teams are still not firing on all cylinders doesn't work for a million or so hosts that if they are still receiving Airbnbs guest bookings with open arms (At a social distance of course  (Haha ), we  have moved beyond that roadblock long ago.    

My purpose  for writing this thread is to see if I can spawn some type of consensus between Hosts and HAB's that almost nothing that doesn't focus squarely on making the CS Shops more responsive to hosts needs is worth pursuing cause the CS department is responsible for effectively supporting its hosts wide variety common and not so common problems.  Many of us that found ourselves in situations that the CS was sucking bad at dealing with unexplainable issues that were in need of urgency and   @Nick , @Liv,  @Quincy , @Katie  and @Lizzie  and others  (Lizzies angels (ha ha) have swooped in and often saved the day and our bacon for us.  The thing is, they already have real jobs keeping this CC alive and functional, we really need the CC to do what they once did better than most help lines, help hosts and guests when and where they need it.   

Anyone second my feelings that this is our #1 most common problem area hosting?   Thanks in advance for listening and sharing BTW, stay well, JR

@Anna1403 , @Bez8,  @Antonella78@Susan208@Till-and-Jutta0,  @Nutth0@Norma17@Peter1@Merredith0@Pascale144@Omar202@Pooja30@Tiffany204@Vinicius0@Shinya0@Ningyi0@Samuel604

35 Replies 35

@Bez8  I see you have no answer to the question of transparency. Instead you changed the subject.

Where do I find these updates that are being shared? I haven't seen any updates aside from telling us you're working on things you can't tell us about and to just trust and be patient.

If there are updates beyond that, I'd appreciate knowing where to read them and I'm sure other hosts would, as well.

@Sarah977 There is an 'update' here

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Center-Updates/March-Host-Advisory-Board-Spotlight/m-p...

But questions are not being answered there either. 

@Merrydith0 "but at least I know that we (HAB)have all tried and are trying to actually do something constructive." Okay... but you know other hosts have also, right? We've been contirbuting feedback for years through various host listening initiatives in person and virtually, and have been ignored.  You say that like you're the first people to try and effect changes.

My background is as a communications director for a Fortune 100 company.

There is a saying and practice regarding good corporate communication:  "Communicate early and often"

While the HAB may not be able to discuss specific things that are happening, they can learn to "communicate early and often."

For instance, it would be great to get regular updates on things they ARE able to discuss.  Also, airbnb as a company can do a much better job of communicating with hosts.  It's MUCH better to be like, "oh, I already heard about that" than to have a change roll out, or a new ad campaign (pet-friendly, hello????), or technology change happen, and you knew nothing about it.

Any updates affecting hosts would be GREAT to receive a weekly email communication.  It could just be bullet points:

- New ad campaign starts 5/1/21 focusing on pet friendly rentals
- New guest vetting process starts 3/1/21 requiring all guests to match selfie to ID

- Technical updates A, B, C, and D will be taking place with completion dates expected by 6/15/21

That would be helpful.

@Connor60  I suspect there are no updates because nothing whatsover has transpired except more blah blah talking between the HAB and Airbnb. In other words, it will prove to simply be another PR stunt, as many of us pointed out would likely be the case way back when it was first announced.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

I've completely given up on Airbnb CS. Forget it. You're on your own. 

At one time, I used to be an Airbnb evangelist. I've referred and established a lot of hosts locally on Airbnb, but that was mainly was before there was any incentive programme, and even after they started the referral incentive program, I still never received one cent. 

Nowadays I see Airbnb simply as a booking machine, like any of the others. It generates bookings. It's good at that, yet it's become rather cold and impersonal.

But at least you still have the opportunity for some dialogue with potential guests before they book. I'd have to quit using the machine if I were forced to accept whatever it outputs with no choice. Especially as the quality of output continues to decline.