New Host Curiosity

Answered!
Melissa2433
Level 3
Henderson, NV

New Host Curiosity

Hello everyone,

My name is Melissa and I’m a new host in Henderson, Nevada. I’m still waiting for my first reservation though. 

I'm excited and relieved to know that we have this community.

I’ve been an Airbnb guest several times in the past 7 years but now I’m on the other side of the fence.

I have a couple of questions:

How was your first hosting experience?

How long after you published your listing did you get your first reservation?

Please share your stories if you don’t mind.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes time to respond to my post. 

1 Best Answer
Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

Hi @Melissa2433!

Welcome! It’s a fun journey to be a host after being a guest for years. I’ve been with Airbnb as a guest since 2011 and became a host in June 2023.

I had an intuitive push to get my listing live NOW (in early June) and I did everything in 2 days to get it live, then had to wait 24 hours while it was live but hidden to finish the manual and the last pieces to the listing.

We had our first booking in 6 hours for 3 weeks out and celebrated when we woke up in the AM to a booking! I made it extra special for that guest but then we had 2 more bookings that same day (one for the first eve it was live) then in 3 weeks we were booked for about 3 months! It was exciting, magical and a roller coaster of a ride. 

We have taken suggestions from guests, added a dresser, some shelving, a desk and chair, a kitchen cart, an air filter, and more since then. I’ve perused articles, host boards, and looked at similar listings for ideas and criticisms of guests to be aware of what makes my listing different and how to make it special.  If a guest tells me it is a birthday or anniversary, I give them a dessert and a card, a bottle of wine and strawberries and chocolate or something thoughtful. It is fun to be able to delight guests. I love meeting new people and learning things about them or from them.

Good luck with your listing and get ready for some delightful exchanges with guests!

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi Melissa, 

I am also a new host. I spent the past 6-7 months remodeling my house for better use than junk rooms now that my kids are grown.  I had a significant investment and from the first day of the listing going live, the wait was an eternity but one happened, 3 weeks out within 3 days.  In another few days, I had an instant check in same day. 

The available now part is critical. Instant book, ID verified, etc. 

Hi @Joseph2185 ,

Good for you! 

Thank you.  I appreciate your feedback.
Wishing you a lot of success with your Airbnb business journey. Take care.
Melissa 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Melissa2433 ! Welcome to the Community Center🌻. It is so nice to hear that you look forward to experience Airbnb as a Host now. Wishing you all the very best as you move forward with this journey!

You've landed to the correct place to ask Hosting related questions and I am sure, you will receive amazing advices from our experienced Hosts in the Community!

I noticed you have asked some really good questions in your post! I would strongly recommend to post those questions as a new topic by starting a conversation here for each of your topics. This will help other members to notice your posts and help you with topic-related advices😍.

Keep in touch!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hello @Bhumika,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I thought I started a new conversation. Didn’t I? I’m learning to navigate my way through the community. 

I appreciate the nice wishes and the information provided regarding posting topics within in the community. 

Have a wonderful week!

Thank you.

Melissa

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Melissa2433 ! No worries! Hope you had an amazing weekend🌻.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I want to affiliate with Airbnb....how can i do that...can anyone help me on this website (**) to be affilaiet with airnbnb

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

Hi @Melissa2433!

Welcome! It’s a fun journey to be a host after being a guest for years. I’ve been with Airbnb as a guest since 2011 and became a host in June 2023.

I had an intuitive push to get my listing live NOW (in early June) and I did everything in 2 days to get it live, then had to wait 24 hours while it was live but hidden to finish the manual and the last pieces to the listing.

We had our first booking in 6 hours for 3 weeks out and celebrated when we woke up in the AM to a booking! I made it extra special for that guest but then we had 2 more bookings that same day (one for the first eve it was live) then in 3 weeks we were booked for about 3 months! It was exciting, magical and a roller coaster of a ride. 

We have taken suggestions from guests, added a dresser, some shelving, a desk and chair, a kitchen cart, an air filter, and more since then. I’ve perused articles, host boards, and looked at similar listings for ideas and criticisms of guests to be aware of what makes my listing different and how to make it special.  If a guest tells me it is a birthday or anniversary, I give them a dessert and a card, a bottle of wine and strawberries and chocolate or something thoughtful. It is fun to be able to delight guests. I love meeting new people and learning things about them or from them.

Good luck with your listing and get ready for some delightful exchanges with guests!

I also forgot to say - I made it a goal to get Superhost and I did - in 27 days! It’s possible and a fun challenge.

I have since not done one night bookings as I was tired of cleaning my suite up to 5x/week (and it takes me 3 hours to clean a 330SF space - I wipe all baseboards, vacuum, steam mop, wipe all surfaces, clean the fridge, stove, micro, coffee makers, refill supplies, change sheets/towrls, laundry and put everything away, make snack baskets, refill the water filter, drinks in fridge, etc., write handwritten cards), etc. I guess if I hurried up, I could get it done in 2 hours but that would be really pushing it.