Now listen carefully everyone!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Now listen carefully everyone!

Do you have the feeling this is our CEO........

12347643_1665563353683189_5005886285506753843_n.jpg

Every day we are confronted with a new revelation. Every day puts new doubts in our minds.

But, I have found the last month to be really stress free. I have been able to spend some time with my kids and 'grandies', I have not had that daily bed to make, cottage to service. One morning I slept until 9.15 am...and I didn't feel guilty out it. I have had a few guests over the past few weeks but, now there is nothing because I can't take a risk that Ade might pick up the coronavirus. She is on imuno suppressant drugs for her MS which leaves her particularly vulnerable! And I have suddenly realised, I have my life back.

I hate what this is doing to the world , but in actual fact it has been good for my family. It has taken some of the emphasis off, my life and other people.

Youngest daughter Kate and her partner Chris just bought and moved into a house on the central coast of NSW..

main.jpg

Seeing as they had that pool, I borrowed @Fred13  'Bird Island' water taxi for the grandies to have a bit of fun in.......

IMG20200218171230.jpg

As we were going over for a few weeks Kate said she really wanted the rear porch and outside laundry made into a 'mud room'. So I put my hand up to supply and build it for her.

The porch was just a junk area at the back of the house......

IMG20200220173924.jpg

If you look closely at those glass panel doors you will notice, they don't match! The goose who put those doors in, bought 12 of them when he last remodeled the house, and by the time he came to the back door he used the best two of the four that remained....never mind that they didn't match...those two required the least restoration work for him at the time. The end result of that was there was an identical set of doors under the house that.....did not match.

I bought what I needed, built a frame......

IMG20200220173959.jpg

I did the required renovation work on the doors (except for the painting which I hate and didn't want to get involved with) and re-matched the doors so they were at least in matching pairs.......

IMG20200223191759.jpg

And Kate ended up with her mudroom......complete with enclosed laundry.

IMG20200228221546.jpg

IMG20200302202239.jpg

She was so over the moon and I felt a real sense of achievement ....and I was just able to concentrate on something other than Airbnb.

I am looking forward to this break from hosting, the last two years have been solid going, just received our last Superhost notification which showed we hosted 106 reservations for the year comprising over 300 hosting nights.

It really is time for a break where I can chalk up some quality time,  maybe get to give @Sarah977 a run for her money and spend some more here....if I will be tolerated!

I don't wish ill on anyone but right now, the smell of roses is pretty good! I hope other hosts can get a bit of comfort out of the situation we have been thrust into and I wish you all a safe passage over this next few months.

Cheers.......Rob

39 Replies 39
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Lol, yes I also get those when I occasionally show up on the 'leader board'. I wish we had more insight into the shenanigans behind all the Airbnb blurb, but unfortunately not. The good thing though is, if you spend a lot of time here, you may notice some points that other people miss, so I always try to direct people to the information when I have some. However, no, I have no idea how to get hold of that $5,000 Superhost Fund.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Huma0 

Huma, don't tell me you didn't even suspect that there would be a catch to it?

It's by invitation only!       Yes, I am serious!

Cheers.......Rob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 

Yes, I know! And how exactly does Airbnb decide who are the hosts in most dire need? Do they have everyone's financial accounts? This is baffling to me and it would be great if they would publish an explanation of how they are figuring this out...

I mention that because other hosts are messaging me asking me how they can apply now and all I can tell them is that they can't! 

I don't qualify anyway, as I have three rooms listed in my house, which I guess makes me a property tycoon or something and not in any financial difficulty whatsoever. Had I listed two mansions, on the other hand, I would qualify as needy enough.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hey @Robin4 

Great post!

I like this quote:

"Every problem or difficulty contais in itself the seed of an equivalent benefit"
By Marcus Aurelius - Philosopher and Roman Emperor

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@J-Renato0 

I like that José , I am going to remember that.

I hope this finds you and Renato well and that restrictions are not hitting you too severely over there in Rio.

Although there has been considerable panic buying of groceries throughout Australia, we seniors get looked after quite well. Three mornings a week between 7.00am and 8.00am, entry to supermarket shopping is only permitted to seniors card holders, and we get the pick of the isles. I am not really hoarding  José but each time I shop I get another (1 per shopper) permitted 9 pack of toilet paper! This has seen me have about 60 rolls on hand which I am giving out to others in the neighbourhood who run out and don't have access.  I also have an abundant amount of tissue packs, paper towel, sanitizer, and I have over 4 weeks supply of heat &eat meals in my various fridges and freezers apart from non perishables like canned Salmon. I bought 3 corned silver-sides on Friday, I have kept one fresh and the other two are in the freezer. That alone will give us 6 -7 meals! I have also bought a good supply of frozen vegetables and potato bake from Aldi. I bought a large rolled Pork shoulder, and this week I am going to have a go at my first Porchetta.....looking forward to that!

If the country's  retailing stopped tomorrow, Ade and I could survive comfortably for about 5-6 weeks. I even had a decent buy up of bubbles (Champagne)  for Ade. I have 4 dozen 1 litre bottles sitting in cartons in the lounge. And there is no way on Gods earth I am going to run out of red wine!

Come to think of it, perhaps I am into hoarding!!! ;-((

But, there is another old saying José ....'You make your bed, you sleep in it'!  We have to be responsible for our destiny and take what ever steps we can to protect ourselves. So, that's what I am doing.

Stay safe mate!

Cheers.....Rob

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi again Robin

Here in Rio and througout Brazil there are lockdowns. The great majority of mayer and governors of the states ordered lockdown. Federal government has closed the borders.

So I and Ana are complying and we support it. I must have cautions, I have turned 60 already.

My last guest, an english couple has left on 27th of March. All the other bookings from April and May has been cancelled.

I have closed my calendar till everything returns to normal.

Actually Robin, my first name is compound of 2 names, Jose Renato and my surname has also 2 surnames... . Since most of people here call me Renato, I have abriged the way my name is displayed on Airbnb. Anyway, some people call me Jose, others Renato. However, I remains the same ! hehehe . I also like being called as Jose.

Nice to know you and Ade are well. Stay safe!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@J-Renato0 

Jose, see that is what happens when you try to get a bit of information from a users profile.

I thought I was on pretty solid ground, some of your reviews mention, Jose, and some mention Renato but, the thing that committed me was, on your profile it says Jose hosts this property and next to that Renato hosts this property!!!!

Jose, mate, I am sorry, I had no idea you were leading a double life! ;-))  

However many lives you lead, you love Brazilian music....that makes you ace in my camp!

And Jose, I can't even remember when I turned 60. I think that was the year Hurricane Katrina battered the southern part of the US and Angela Merkel became the Chancellor of Germany.....but time does dim the memory!

Cheers......Rob

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi again @Robin4 

I went to my profile page and listing page and I can´t see anything wrong. Maybe we are not in the same page. Can you show me the link to see what is going on?

Sure, some reviews refers to me as Jose and others as Renato. My first name is Jose Renato as it is stated in my passport and certificate of birth. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear. hehe
Actually, there is a third way to call me that some members of my family and some friends also call me - Ze Renato hehe It stands for the shorten of Jose Renato, and very common way to reduce this combined name in Brasil and in portuguese language.
I am glad I have a costumizable name! hehe

Actually, my father It was Jose, my brother is also José, very popular name here, it is like Josef in english countries. It is pronounced basically like in english, differently from the spanish pronouciation.

I am not comparing myself with the following exemplos! However, I think that Ike and Einsenhower, Angela and Merkel, Winston and Churchil, all of them are called by more then one name. hehe

Now, level with me Robin. I know that it is you who is leading a double life! While Clark Kent is the Superman you Robin is the Superhost!  hehe

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@J-Renato0 

Yeah, I get it now, it all fits into place now that you have explained it... I was going by the bottom of your profile page 

José Renato 1.png

José  Augusto is your brother, or another acquaintance, is he?

I just assumed from those two profile  photos that Renato was your partner and the 'exceptionally handsome' man  with the facial hair was you!!!! ;-))

Now you have explained the relevance of your names....... many women in English culture are named Renata, and I took Renato is being a Latin American equivalent.....sort of like my name Robin! I can be a male or a female with a name like mine.....when I am being sensible, I am Robin the male, when I am being a picky b*ich, I am Robin the female! 

It all fits into place now! Just let me know how you like to be referred to and I will comply.

Cheers.......Rob

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Robin4 

At least to me it does not sound confused. It is clear that Jose Augusto is the co-host. 

I  am J Renato, (J stands for Jose) and I am the host for those listings.

Not necessary to beat around the bush... Robin !
If you wanted to know if am I g a y ... You could have asked it! The answer is so simple... NO I am not. I am straight, I only like having sex with woman. I have no problems with this! Lol

... and Ana who appears with me in my picture profile is my wife. I hope that in Australia Anna or Ana is a female name! Lol

To avoid troubles, I have to say I have no prejudice against anyone that have other personal preferences. Nothing against others life styles.

Jose Augusto is my brother indeed. He is also my business partner in holiday rental (short term rental) and another small business. We own some apartments to let. We have fours units listed in Airbnb. And two another properties we rent long term. He is also co-host, and when I travel or when I need, he helps me.

FYI, he is not g a y as well !  Lol ... and He is also married with a woman !!! Lol

As for my second first name:
Renato = male name in Portuguese and Italian 
Renata = female name in Portuguese and Italian

As far as I know, in the English language (UK culture and US) there is not the name Renato (male) nor Renata (female). I studied english till proeficency level  long time ago (although my english is still a work in progress), I never heard of a native speaker named Renato (male) or Renata (female).

Renee is the equivalent for Renato and Renata in French (Renee for man and woman) and in German where there is Renate (ends with e, but it is only female name).

Because of your question, I searched about this for the first time and here what I have found
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renatus

You can call me Jose. Not necessary to change anything! Since Jose Renato é meu nome, and you know to whom your are talking to... no need to change.

Because of your question I have made slight changes in my profile description, to make sure that anyone that reads my profile can understand what is there.

Thanks! Have a nice day! 😉

@J-Renato0  While it's not a name you hear often, Renata is indeed a woman's name among English speakers. Renato for a male, though, no.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Sarah977 

Maybe, the women who has Renata as name in english countries are from Poland, Italy, etc. They may never have put their foot in the country of their ancestors... but definitely it is not an english name. Or maybe the fathers who baptized a woman as Renata like the sound of forign name.

I think It is like in Brazil. There are lots of people with german names, japanese name, italian names. For example, you can find somebody named Udo or Hering and it is not a Portuguese or Italian name. It is cos there are lots of germans in Brazil in the south of the country. Lots of immigrants that came in the end of 19 century. Still nowadays there are small cities in the south were the inhabtants speaks a german dialect from the 19th centery. That is why, exept for the esteriotypes, you can not describe how a brazilian is like, at least the great majority of brazilian that are in Brazil.

@J-Renato0  Well sure, there are plenty of people, all over the world, who have names which originated in languages other than the one of their home country. What I was saying is that Renata is a name you hear in English speaking countries, given to women who were born in those countries. 

Here in Mexico. there are a lot of Mexicans with Arabic names- Omar is quite popular, and I know a woman named Zulma. Vasco de Gama, Columbus, and other Spanish explorers had Arabic crewmen among them, and there is evidence that the Moors sailed to the "New World" even before that. 

I named my oldest daughter Kaiyo, but I just totally made up the name. When she was an adult, we found out that it's also a man's name in Japan.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Sarah977 

Lol...

Now, It is about another case... I have also heard of someone that had his arm tatooed with japanese words and later on had a surprise.

As for your name you know it is usual in lots of countries, maybe in the entire world, except for asia and middle east. The wife of Abr aham ! Bob Dylan it was married with a woman named Sarah and composed a song with her name. In Brazil there are lots of women named Sarah.

@J-Renato0  Yes, Sarah is popular name in many places. But when I was a kid, it wasn't and I hated it 🙂