Only giving refunds to strict cancellation policies

Brian-And-Megan1
Level 1
Manchester, IA

Only giving refunds to strict cancellation policies

Simple question

Can someone from Airbnb please explain to me the reasoning for giving a 25% refund to hosts based on their cancellation policy?

In my opinion this alienates your hosts that have moderate or flexible cancellation policies (what you promote hosts to have) because we will get nothing since the majority of cancellations are outside of our policy.

28 Replies 28
MariaEugenia45
Level 1
San Isidro, AR

Is this so? I understood we would all get 25% refunds in all bookings cancelled between March 13th and May 31st...

Maria Y Maldonado

That was my understand too! That is exactly what I heard. Could we have gotten it wrong? Or were we mislead?

Catherine2252
Level 8
Toulon, France

@Brian-And-Megan1 @MariaEugenia45 

1) If you are strict, it will be 25% of 50% (amount of normal cancellation) = 12,5% 

If you had to receive 300$  after cancellation for a reservation of 600$, Airbnb will give you 37,50$!!!!

2) If you are flexible, and your normal cancellation is 0% (before x days), you will receive 25% of 0$ = 0$!!!

So many hosts Airbnb all over the world are angry and disgusted by Airbnb attitude!

Please sign the petition:  20 700 signatures

https://www.change.org/p/airbnb-airbnb-breach-of-contract-class-action-lawsuit-violate-cancellation-...

Hi Catherine, I have just read your post. Do you know if it is possible to receive 25% of the total?
My understanding of Airbnb´s extenuating policy is that if the guest cancels more than 7 days before check in, I will get 25% of the half of the total payment and if he cancels less than 7 days before arrival I will get 25% of the total. So for me it would be best if he cancelled just a few days before arrival and I thought that guest receives 100% back no matter when he cancels.
However, my guest who was supposed to arrive in 2 weeks says that he received an email from Airbnb telling him that he must cancel no later than 7 days before arrival.
Do you have any experiences with this? Reservations with strict cancellation policy cancelled less than 7 days before check in? Do I understand the policy correctly?

Renée79
Level 2
Berkeley, CA

Hi agree! Those us who are generous with cancellation fees get nothing. I completely misunderstood B. Chesky when he spoke to us. That was not clear at all in his talk!!! He is worth 4 billion and could share some of that back with us in this tough time. No problem for him! such a bummer, and no one to really ask these pertinent questions to....

not sure what to do now, sad & worried, Renée

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Renée79 

That's because his speech was deliberately misleading. This was not a message to hosts, it was a message to the press (and guests) and, for the large part, it worked. Most media coverage is reporting that Airbnb is paying hosts 25% of what they would have earnt, which is far from true, and leading guests to believe that hosts are covered (again, not true).

It's a pure PR stunt.

I admit, I am shocked. He sounded so GREAT on that talk. Is he really that duplicitous?

@Renée79  Yes, he is. Has been for a long time, as far as I can tell. Most people who manage to build a net worth of 4.5 billion dollars got there by being ruthless.

Ruthless, and oddly ignorant and sad. The help he offered, 10 million (which does not seem to be flowing to Hosts) is worth on par to $9 for someone earning 4K am month. If I did my math right. Is that generous? 

@Renée79  You seem to be confusing two different funds. The $10 million available to "some" Superhosts is a grant, not a percentage. The $250 million is going to be used to reimburse hosts whose cancellation policy meant they were supposed to get 50% of the total reservation will be paid out 25% of the 50%.

Thanks. I think I got the part about the grant to "some." I have not found any way to apply. Might you know?

Sayulita? I think dear Canadian friends love to go there in the winter....

@Renée79  You can't apply. Airbnb will contact those they somehow determine are worthy. Nice, huh?

Well, your friends probably aren't here now 🙂

Indeed. My bookings went to zero in april, and ard falling fast for may and june....Well, we will see how they determine. Maybe some logarithm. I would not want to make those choices, especially with limited funds. 

thanks for responding! Have a lovely monday.