Open Homes

Answered!
Rebecca735
Level 2
Eltisley, United Kingdom

Open Homes

Hi

I've just received my first enquiry - from a Doctor relocating from London - after offering our house on Open Homes.  The reservation is for 20 days and I have waived the accommodation charge.  

When I signed up I think I read somewhere that it was ok to charge a cleaning fee for the big clean at the end- can anyone advise how I go about this? Have potential guests been advised that this might be the case?

Is it ok to ask that guests adhere to our House Rules just as we would paying guests and will any damage or breakages be covered under the resolution scheme in the same way?

I really don't want to appear negative - I'm glad that I can do something to help - but its a such an unknown having someone there for 20 days and not being able to do a mid-stay clean or inspection.

Does anyone have any other tips or advice to share about the scheme?

Any comments or advice would be gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Rebecca 

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rebecca735  Of course a guest, whether he is staying at full price, a discount, or for free, needs to be held to your house rules and expected to pay for any damages. And yes, charge a cleaning fee, as well as a security deposit (although Airbnb doesn't actually put a hold on security deposit amount, it may serve as a deterent to carelessness). In fact, I don't see why you shouldn't charge enough to cover your costs- utilities, amenities, etc. Free accomodation and not caring to make a profit is one thing, but I don't see why hosts should be out-of-pocket.

But have you actually checked out the credentials of this person who is inquiring? Hosts have been reporting a lot of scams of people wanting to stay and claiming they are a doctor or nurse, but are just trying to scam a free stay. Be really careful and do your due diligence. Did you sign up to Open Homes, or to host COVID responders?

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rebecca735  Of course a guest, whether he is staying at full price, a discount, or for free, needs to be held to your house rules and expected to pay for any damages. And yes, charge a cleaning fee, as well as a security deposit (although Airbnb doesn't actually put a hold on security deposit amount, it may serve as a deterent to carelessness). In fact, I don't see why you shouldn't charge enough to cover your costs- utilities, amenities, etc. Free accomodation and not caring to make a profit is one thing, but I don't see why hosts should be out-of-pocket.

But have you actually checked out the credentials of this person who is inquiring? Hosts have been reporting a lot of scams of people wanting to stay and claiming they are a doctor or nurse, but are just trying to scam a free stay. Be really careful and do your due diligence. Did you sign up to Open Homes, or to host COVID responders?