Plum Guide Award

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

Plum Guide Award

Has anyone received a "nomination" to be a part of this platform?  It costs money (on our side) to participate, etc.  But it sells itself as an elite platform for advertising your listing(s).  You are promised "higher end" guests.  The platform allows these guests quicker access to your listing as they won't have to muddle through a trove of mediocre listings before reaching you in your market.  Supposedly. . . 

Your first booking they want $400 and then an additional 3% from each successive booking that is made through their platform.  

Anyone doing this and having success and/or frustration?  

22 Replies 22

@Richard531  I follow this industry more closely than is really necessary, and have met a few hosts who tried out listing on various curated specialty platforms. I do think there's a place for these - a small handful have broken through in some markets, and the travel biz gradually recovers I think we'll see a few more success stories. But the overwhelming majority of these Airbnb copycat startups flop within a year; they can't attract enough investment capital to have global marketing reach, they don't deliver enough bookings to retain inventory, and their product tends to be 95% trompe l'oeil once you get past the splash page.

I'd never heard of the Plum Guide before now (had anyone?) but what immediately stands out about their platform is that they don't seem to have any idea what their niche is. They want to convey some kind of highbrow, members-only vibe but their listings tend to cluster around a midrange boutique-hotel aesthetic. They want to flatter hosts with dubious invitations, but the only unique quirk of their listing format is the "Home Truths" section where a contractor writes a bunch of snooty remarks about the listing's supposed downsides. I didn't find a listing with any guest reviews, and I don't even know if they have that functionality, but that means there's no public data on how frequently a listing is booked through their service. And nothing assures me that they can deliver a better quality of guests than the major platforms, or have the resources to compensate hosts in the event of damage. (Their FAQ makes it clear that, like Airbnb, they don't put any hold on a security deposit). 

As far as I can see, this emperor has no clothes. It's like if you're walking through Times Square and some rando hands you a flyer for some "VIP Club," that is not the place where you should spend your Saturday night. You'll pay a huge cover to get past the bouncer in a loud Plum-colored tux, only to get in and find that the dancefloor is empty, the drinks are all watered down, the music is just Adele remixes on a tired soundsystem, and the air smells strangely like Cheetos.

I'd really like to see a platform that served hosts better bust into the market with great features, reliable service, killer IT, and a unique selling point. Airbnb's game is really slipping without a scrappy underdog nipping at its heels. But it's implausible that an obscure copycat site is going to be a major player with a $400 cost of entry and nothing resembling a brand identity. 

You have a stunning listing that any platform would be lucky to have in its inventory; I wouldn't waste the money or effort on a lame startup.

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Anonymous  First, and I realize that people must tell you this all the time, you’re about as eloquent as it gets.  I could read little mini-rants like these for hours.  

All of your observations about Plum are spot on.  Particularly the lack of reviews from guests.  And without said reviews, how would guests have the confidence to ultimately book?  Just because it’s on their "elite-because-I-said-it's-elite" platform?  Not likely. . .

The Times Square analog is genius.  “Plum-colored tux” wearing bouncer!  LOL!  Adelle remixes!  Oh man!  I think I went to that club once by accident!  Couldn’t get outta there fast enough.  Still laughing! 

Thanks so much for the kind words about the listing.  What you say, I’ll do! 

Hi Richard,

I'm wondering if you ever heard back from Plum Guide.  I put in a request to become a host a few days ago and haven't received a confirmation email to setup an account to go through the acceptance process.  I'm interested, as they claim to verify the listings, which is great for high-end hosts and guests.

Thanks for any advice you have regarding this plat form.

Best,

Laurie Boscoe

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Plum Guide have been present in the London market for some time now, @Richard531 and it's fair to say they haven't gone down that well. I won't cover what @Anonymous has said, only to chip in that they've also had some complete duds on their site here in London, despite their 'World's Most Rigorous Home Test' promise. 

Take a look on TripAdvisor for more details, but appears they're trying to be the Centurion AMEX card, without the nice stuff.  

Jerry250
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

@Richard531 Yes, great photos on your listing. Not many listings dare have the whole 'lifestyle' thing going on!

I hadn't heard of Plum guide. I spent some time looking at their website (we're in lockdown, I have time!). They do have an active UK Trustpilot profile and good feedback and they respond to criticism too. To my mind Plum has pros and cons depending on geography and how many guests they can deliver.

1. CON They only have a handful of listings in my area of the world (which is hardly remote, there are 100s of Airbnb listings!) and I've never seen them come up in a search result - advertised or native (I search my area a lot). So that would be my first worry as a host. But every company has to start somewhere.

2. CON The places listed near me are pretty modest. Nothing especially 'premium' about them. So as a potential guest I wouldn't feel like I was browsing a 'premium property' site.

3. PRO I can however see the appeal of a 'curated' collection. I'm sure the hundreds of search results on Airbnb are off-putting to many. Reading listings is time consuming.

4. NEUTRAL £300 is the first successful booking fee in the UK + 3%. The 3% isn't a bother, same as ABB. The £300 would be between 10-20% commission on that first booking (depending on duration of stay and rate) of course after that it would be just 3%. So the first fee is an advertising fee. I wonder if there are re-inspection fees? (they claim to re-inspect).

5. NEUTRAL The cancellation at 5 days 10% premium will appeal to many. Hopeless for hosts though (unless fully compensated) I can't often rent a sleeps 10 at 5 days notice. 

6. CON Slightly concerned Plum, for all their curated care will seemingly allow me to attempt to book a stay  during a full UK lockdown with no warning. It makes me wonder how 'on it' they are.

7. NEUTRAL Inspectors. I auditioned a national rental company who laid down all kinds of 'rules' on decor and furniture that would be inspected. We didn't go with them (cost) but when I look at their listings now I see numerous rule breaches and wonder what the inspectors really did (their 'rules' included things like no bunk beds, living areas must have seating for all the guests).

8. PRO They have a price guarantee for guests (you won't pay more than on another site) so I suspect their fee structure is same as ABB and they take the host base price from your ABB listing and add 14-16%. 

I'm not sure i'd try it, unless they waived the £300 commission. Then I might be in.

Richard Plum Guide is an alternate to AirBnb. You'll save a fortune.  Better clients.

Best,

Nancy

Adams Hill House, South Newfane VT

Can you evidence how paying to be in this guide saves you a fortune @Nancy-Elizabeth1 

How many bookings have you generated through advertising in the Plum Guide ? For what sort of value? 

Hi Helen,

If the fee for referring new clients is 3%, that is significantly less for the host.

That is all Plum does.

Will it replace AirBnB?  

No. It doesn't have the reach.  

But if you have a few bookings through lower cost platforms, and more platforms overall, it will improve your top line revenue.

Simple math.