Policy question was not answered by Airbnb Support - advice needed

Policy question was not answered by Airbnb Support - advice needed

I haven't used AirBnb for a few years, pre-COVID since I last sold my home. 

**[Inappropriate remarks about Airbnb support removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Anyways, back to what happened... 

I called and said, I need to ask for a policy question, "It used to be that the host was permitted to add 2 full nights pay for overstaying at an Airbnb over allotted time, is that still valid? And if so, what time is that able to be applied? half hour? 3 hours?" 

The first guy REFUSED to answer, stating that I needed to be checked on the list and verified before I was able to get the information. I said, "no this is a question that a guest or a host can ask, it is a general policy question." He says no and I hang up on him, he calls back and he says, "Would you like me to help you?" "Yes" I respond, "answer my question." He again gives a BS response about how he needs to know all my info before giving me the answer. I hang up, I cal with an unregistered number, give a fake email and name. He says after, 10-minute hold, that it can be whatever the host want, I ask what if the host wants 5 nights after half hour? Again 5 minute hold and states that he can't answer that and it is with another department that he can't transfer me to because I am not a host. 

**[Inappropriate remarks about Airbnb support removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

7 Replies 7
Renee291
Level 7
Cincinnati, OH

I have been a host since 2019, and have been a guest since prior to that time. I never heard of that policy. An automatic "late departure fee" is an interesting concept but seems it would be hard to police and validate. Fortunately for me, this has not been an issue.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Denise803 

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the information that you were looking for.

I've passed your comments over to Airbnb Support, noting that your query seems to be with another department, and asking if someone can contact you to clarify things.

While I understand that you're frustrated, I’d like to ask you to please remain respectful and refrain from making personal comments about Airbnb staff, in particular their Support staff.

They’re real people, just like you.  While we allow criticism of the platform, we do ask you all to be respectful here on the Community Center. Please refer to the Community Guidelines here.

Thanks

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Never heard of that policy in six years of hosting @Denise803 

You can charge guests who overstay there is a policy around this- do have a look on the Airbnb Help centre website  which has Q&A's covering most issues including this one

Nothing to do with the police @Renee291  -its a contractual issue between host, Airbnb and the guest

Renee291
Level 7
Cincinnati, OH

@Helen3 is that something that they actually enforce and collect for hosts? Or an empty policy? I have a "damage deposit" in my house rules and a $100 fee if the guest smokes in the house but I'm not sure that has any real teeth.  How do I prove the house smells like cigarette (or other) smoke? I can request $ from the guest but I'm not sure Airbnb will enforce the rule, and I doubt they will automatically charge the guest.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't know I've never had to make a claim against a guest @Renee291 

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

Unfortunately they have had no policy protection for hosts who have guests overstay in my experience. I have thankfully only had a few times where guests are not checked out and refuse (or claim they are trying but are not really trying) to come get packed up and leave so that the next booking can still take place. My biggest eye opener with this was once where it was 2 back to back Airbnb stays.... and I was pretty sure Airbnb would have my back regarding the loss of the 2nd stay due to the first guest thinking she had another night when she did not.... since it was 100% within their own ecosphere and both guest's money situation was within Airbnb's power. The 2nd guest refused to come later in the evening when I explained what was going on, they said if it could not be ready pretty much right by check in time they wanted a refund. Airbnb could see I had been begging the 1st guest to come pack up her clothes, pizza boxes etc (some of you may recall this post because she had a gun on the table and Airbnb did have someone call to tell me how sorry they were to hear about the gun). I told them I did not need counseling about the gun I needed the money for the 2nd booking! And I could not very well have myself or my staff responsible for putting a handgun in a box in the hallway. Putting the belongings in a box in the hallway was the only suggest recourse, and no payment for anyone's time boxing up the items either. 

But no, I got no support whatsoever except for someone offering to let the 2nd cancelation be penalty free. They never seem to remember that losing the payout is indeed a penalty. And I have never successfully gotten a payout for a guest simply leaving an obvious cigarette smoke smell. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

There is such a policy in place and I have read about people collecting on it. I personally had someone overstay but I have a late check out fee stated in my listing so I charged them just the amount of the fee. When support tried to negotiate with me on their behalf, I reminded support that I am entitled to more as per this policy and they agreed that my request was reasonable.

I can not recall the exact amounts outlined in the policy but you can just look it up. All airbnb policies are on the web. 

I am also not sure why you are so reluctant to log in with your old pre-Covid information.