Politics of Airbnb

Steven-And-Sandra1
Level 1
Michigan, United States

Politics of Airbnb

Enough of Airbnb's politics!  As a long-time Superhost, I know what guests want. I do not explore their political backgrounds. Now Airbnb says it will cancel out anyone who does not meet its political standard. You are on probation, Airbnb.

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Steven-And-Sandra1  "Now Airbnb says it will cancel out anyone who does not meet its political standard. "

No, Airbnb says it will ban users who engage in acts of domestic terrorism.

If you support domestic terrorism, and armed insurrection, and threats to assassinate govt. officials, and don't object to housing neo-Nazis, then by all means you should remove your listing from the platform.  

@Sarah977 , I support it 100% and implore Airbnb to apply it 100%, unfortunately they have already shown that they can turn a blind eye to some forms of domestic terrorism.   Mixed messages wont unite divided people who are far more alike than they are different.  We can only speak with one voice again when all things and voices that are created equal are treated equally and viewed through the same eyepiece not the Television or social networks, (the real view of our hometowns not contrived ones).    This is a time for degaussing not polarizing, I pray my fellow citizens can see that with all the red and blue chaff in the air, Stay well, JR 

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Steven-And-Sandra1,

I understand your concern about Airbnb crossing your limits, but by signing up and agreeing to their Terms of Service, you had already empowered them to make decisions about who's suitable to be a guest, or a host on their platform, and how they will pay you.  In exchange you get a lot of conveniences for marketing your business.  If you've not do so already, I recommend that you set up your own website for your rentals.  It's quite a bit of work to manage all of the details regarding marketing, guest selection and payment, but you get to make all of the decisions for your business.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

@Steven-And-Sandra1   Whatever your personal politics are, "not being a member of a terrorist organization supporting a white supremacist agenda to violently overturn a democratic election" strikes me as an extremely low bar to clear. Most conservatives and liberals would make the cut, and the people who don't...well, let's see how you like it when one of them is your guest.

What you say is true @Anonymous , 99.9% of conservatives I know would stand in defense of our Capital Building to protect it from bad actors and in no way support the violent and illegal actions less than 1% of the demonstrators that were in DC took against  one of the most important political structures in our nation.   The labeling and painting of us all with the same insurrectionist brush will not do anything more than fan the flames set by mob rule not quell them.  I pray we learn to pick the maggots out of the meat before we throw the entire cow away....

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Steven-And-Sandra1 ,  I know why they are speaking up now but how could they be silent through everything else?    I don't think Airbnb has gone far enough with their anti violence policy in the US or most of the nations it has hosting services in, they are pretty late to the 911 call, our streets in main street America are littered with the souls of the dead and destroyed buildings from a year of :Peaceful "Protests".

Let me be perfectly clear, politically motivated violence against the people and government of the US of any type must be banned, prohibited and discouraged by everyone regardless.   Unfortunately Airbnb, Twits, Goog, bookface  and others have been far too silent about this throughout the last year as court houses and police stations were burned, cities were overrun, countless civilians and law enforcement have been injured and killed and thousands of  businesses were looted, destroyed and or torched in the USA. 

Luckily, I dont need to change my policies to stay in Airbnb cause I have never supported this type of violent "Protest" but now I demand that Airbnb stay true to their stated purpose and understand that any protest that includes and supports violent agents of change within its ranks is unacceptable period.   Just my 2 cents, JR