Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Pricing a Long Term Rental

Ryan2552
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

Pricing a Long Term Rental

I just got a request for a 12 month stay in our property. I am open to long term stays however as it is a beach rental the majority of our "normal" revenue occurs during the 3-4 months in the summer. 

Is there anyway to protect ourselves from providing an average monthly rate to the tenants so that they can't just stay for the summer months at the low rate and then cancel thus causing us to lose revenue?

5 Replies 5

@Ryan2552 when a guest sends a request, the price is locked in for the entire period - you aren't allowed to raise it. However, you may decline this request and change the pricing in your calendar for future bookings. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ryan2552 

Although i host 'long term stays", i would never host a 12 months stay via Airbnb.

Without an additional lease contract you have no guarantee the guest will pay the installments.

The "long term stay" cancellation policy gives guest always the opportunity to cancel (with a 30 nights rent penalty, but if they do not pay...Airbnb will not go after them) .

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ryan2552  There is no way you should accept a 12 month booking through Airbnb. There are simply no safeguards that a landlord would normally use with a year-long lease tenant.

And a guest becomes a tenant, subject to landlord/tenant laws, after 30 days in most jurisdictions. There's far worse possibilities than cancelling- you could end up with a squatter who could take months to legally evict.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Ryan2552   No. Do not rent for 12 months via AirBnB.  You are not protected in any way. Offer to rent for one month, then have the guest sign an attorney vetted lease. 

Flower25
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Hey there news to hosting. I would like to update my long stay cost but I am no longer seeing that option. I was able to add my price the very first time how can't find it. Help please. Thank you