Refund and rebooking policy- terrifying!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Refund and rebooking policy- terrifying!

Yikes, anyone else broken out into a cold sweat reading the details of the new refund and rebooking policy….

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2868/rebooking-and-refund-policy?src_section=310825&c=.pi80.pk...

70 Replies 70

@Robert5946 I think that is a biggie Robert. The hands off hosts who simply employ cleaners and are not available onsite may find themselves in trouble . H

Absolutely! Well said.

If you have a five star rating up until the point when this new policy can be used / abused this should be questioned, qualified and if in doubt maybe have another air bnb host visit and do an independent report?

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kim3228  An independent report in principle sounds like something good. How that could be implemented is a different matter I suppose 

Robert5946
Level 2
Mendon, VT

I have to agree, I've worked hard so I'll get good placement and find others further away for my search area posted ahead of mine.

We're also appalled at the new policy. I can just hear the guests getting out of paying based on some unfounded complaint or made-up issue.

We had a guest write a bad review on one of the properties we oversee because there wasn't cable TV. Now, the listing clearly states there are only streaming services but this guy was seriously ticked.  Now, will Airbnb automatically give him his money back?  Or the guest who doesn't read the instructions and complains the apartment is cool and you have to tell him to turn on the thermostat?  How does Airbnb adjust for guest stupidity and/or laziness?  

I don't have faith in Airbnb's support staff who have yet to respond to two cases (questions) three days ago!  We reported a guest with COVID issue staying last summer, asking what our obligations were and how to handle the reservations coming in while these people were ordered to stay put.  That was nearly a YEAR ago and we have yet to receive a response.

What exactly are the criteria a guest can use to get out of the reservation?  If there is a spider web behind a closet door -does that count?  What if they come in and say the mattress is too soft or too hard? 

After spending considerable time updating our property listings, we feel we have to go back through and go over every word!  If I use the words - the garden is serene and lush - and a guest says they didn't find it serene do they get their money back?

We've talked about doing a video before a guest checks in to show the water is running, the place is clean, the toilet flushes, the shower works, there are towels, the carpet is clean, etc. etc.  The 'Jone's' are checking in today. Here is their apartment.  Then doing another video when they leave.  Because it would be dated and the name of the guest in the video - will this be enough to verify for Airbnb?

The other part of this that ticks me off is Airbnb's lack of support for Hosts!  I've spent countless hours trying to get guest damages reimbursed. I've had problems getting Airbnb to tell guests who have broken OUR rules out of the property.  This new policy seems like another way to stick it to the host.

Understand that ABB CS DOES NOT CARE about you or your listing. Please don't assume that because your an honest caring person, the CS is the same. It's the old....have you ever eaten lion meat? No?...then what makes you think a lion won't eat you?.

With these new rules, we have been left out to dry. As for me, I will not be a target to scammers or CS agents from who knows where that has an axe to grind, and take it out on us financially. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Paul1255 Whew hard to realise what exactly will happen . one thing i actually like is that the guest must vacate or take a lesser refund . That will help eliminate those guests considering to get their whole stay for free. not sure if that is everyone or just 'Luxe'.i think filming or taking pics before each guest now becomes even more important  and those sneaky little comments at the beggining of a stay must be carefully listened to,like at peak hour commenting on 'how noisy the road'  is or'  I thought  the house was closer to town' Location as a reason to mark people down seems to have been clarified a little ,which is good and the question ,Is this house where you were told it was? instead of the guests opinion that they would rather be in ST Moritz.. also things like if you can access the house .no prob . the need to comment to the host is important and eliminates those who go straight to airbnb in order to build a lying case which might be blown out of the water by the host actually being notified and able to act in a timely manner. If this is Airbnbs policy then they will have to show that both they and the guest tried to get in contact. It is good for those of us who are driven crazy by guests who do not communicate, but and this is a big one,if the electricity goes off as it does sometimes around here for generally an hour or two at most ,can the guest expect a refund ? H.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Paul1255 I hope the minders of Airbnb are reading these responses. I too believe the 72hrs to make a complaint is way to long and in some cases hosts have not been contacted. If the person was staying at a hotel would they get a refund? I am wondering how these complaints would stand up against one states or countries consumers affairs were one can appeal for example as we pay taxes and most people who have stayed in our cottage are Australian citizens.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laurelle3 Time well tell if the minders at Airbnb are reading our responses!

But rather than create a policy, implement it and then wait for any potential backlash to see if they've got it right- you'd think Airbnb could create a panel of hosts from around the world to consult on new ideas and policies to test the temperature of the global hosting community, before rolling out changes.

“…you'd think Airbnb could create a panel of hosts from around the world to consult on new ideas and policies to test the temperature of the global hosting community, before rolling out changes.”

@Paul1255 Do I detect a touch of @Mike-And-Jane0 style sarcasm there? Lol.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Colleen253  🙂

In my mind I was assuming that if these policies were run past a panel of hosts, they wouldn’t make it to the sign-off stage, but if they have- and been given a green light then…the call is coming from inside the house isn’t it!

CB92FF2F-1C22-412E-A487-5F76CD3807EE.jpeg

😱 

@Paul1255 What a fitting meme.

#GAB

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Paul1255 yes I agree with you about asking a panel of hosts. But I thought this would have been put to the Advisory Hosts that have been appointed for 2022

Darrell60
Level 3
Charlotte, NC

Airbnb’s new cancellation policy is absolutely not fair to Hosts. There are too many scammer guests that will take advantage of this unfair policy. Without us Hosts Airbnb is nothing. Airbnb start respecting your Hosts or some other online platform will jump in and put you out of business. 

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

This means we have to be choosier with our guests. Fine hotels don’t even to go through this ridiculousness