Refunding a guest that checked in early!

Jay1577
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Refunding a guest that checked in early!

Airbnb have refunded a guest who checked in 36 hours early to my home  and as when I asked for an extra nights payment reported my house as being unclean .

He checked himself out the next day meaning he had 2 nights free , leaving me with a cleaning bill and a home he had smoked in!

Airbnb have not responded to my request for a cleaning fee after 3 days

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jay1577

How can  a guest check-in 36 hours earlier ?

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

@Jay1577 It's possible that you may need to revise your checkin procedures. It sounds like you may have given the guest access before the actual booking began. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jay1577  How was the guest able to check in 36 hours early without you being aware of that? What kind of check-in, key/lock system do you use that someone could do that?

Jay1577
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

As a Super Host I have always given people the benefit of the doubt.

I live in the UK and have been unable to fit my new WIFI lock and therefore have a standard key box.

I gave the guest the key code & address the key code and address on the Thursday evening at 7pm(UK Time) not realising it was 2pm (ET) .

The guest has therefore driven from Arkansas and taken advantage by using my calendar.

Hindsight is a great thing and in future in will send details on the day of check in until our new lock is fitted.

In the messages between me & the guest , at no time does he mention uncleanliness of the house , only when I asked for the extra night did he run to airbnb with his fictitious story.

@Jay1577  What most hosts who have lock boxes do is program a new code for each guest, that is set for the check-in time. So the guest can't get in earlier than that, and you could still send the check-in info earlier. 

Sorry you had a jerky guest.