Rented a chalet with full of lady bugs

Rented a chalet with full of lady bugs

I booked a chalet through airbnb ro spend 3 nights canadian thanksgiving with my family. I have 2 kids. When we went to sleep, we found that all rooms are full of lady bugs. Humdreds of them were flying above my 10 and 5 years old kids. I have photos and vidéos. My kids couldn't sleep. I advised the host and slept with my 2 kids and wife in the car the first night as we chrcked in late. In the early morning the host called and asked me to get out between 1-2 pm for the extermination company to do their job. It ended up coming at 2:30. We were out waiting in 2 degrees celsius which is very cold weather until 4:30 pm. Then the houskeeping lady came to vaccum and take out all killed lady bugs at around 4:30 pm. They spent 20 minutes cleaning. They finished and left around 4:50 pm. I went to the rooms after they finished and saw lady bugs still flying and falling down on the floor. I asked the host to call me.  I told him that the houskeeping didnt do a good job. Then suddenly he asked me over the phone to get out of his chalet immediately. AirBnb said the same thing to us. We had to pack our stuff and leave immediately.

So we were kicked out with no place to go. Neither a hotel from Airbnb after I called them and stayed for 40 minutes on the phone. However we drove back home which is 3 hours driving.
We had booked tickets to an event in that area. We couldnt go because we had to pack our stuff and leave.$800 we couldnt get refunded.
Please note that i have paid for food and other stuff for the whole family which we lost and had to throw away.
My whole holiday with my family and kids was awful and a pain. When I asked for à compensation of the whole booking in addition to all my expenses. They refunded me 2 nights and charged me for the first night which was spen in my car with the kids.  Airbnb needs to cover my expenses that I lost. $2000 not including what we had paid for house. This doesnt include the emotional toll my family had to endure. We saved for this trip for three years to abke to afford this "dream trip".

What do you think I should do. I wish I can reach out to Mr. Brian Chesky.

I wish I can escalate my serious issue to the upper management because neither me, my wife or kids are not happy and satisfied with the final decision of airbnb.

This is not fair nor acceptable and I wish no one will just face the same expérience.

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Nader43 

You can try to make a claim on your travel insurrance.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3221/what-is-and-isnt-protected-by-aircover

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

oh this is not a good story. Lady bugs are important bugs, and they are probably looking for a place to hibernate for winter.  You could have used this as a teaching moment for your kids, to learn about the importance of these delightful insects. Did you know that some cultures consider them good luck?  

I'd like to hear this story from the host's pov, so we can  truly understand the situation. It is not the host's fault that some seasonal event with bugs occurred, there is no way he could have prevented this situation (assuming all the windows were closed but there must be gaps somewhere). 
Did you take photos? 

There is no way this can be normal!Screenshot_20221013-195933_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221013-195924_Gallery.jpg