Request for RAFA raffle prize donation

Steve2822
Level 1
Lincoln, United Kingdom

Request for RAFA raffle prize donation

First of all I understand the current climate that COVID has impacted the travel and vacation industry, but with the vaccines being rolled out I hope 2021 means that later in the year, we can start enjoying travel of some sort again. I am not trying to antagonise anyone with this request, more if you don't ask you never know:

The Royal Air Forces Association (RAFA) is a charity that helps to support the families of those serving in or served in the RAF, from the youngest recruit to the oldest veteran. Having served in the RAF myself for over 20 years now and had friends reaching out for RAFA’s support, I feel it time to give something back.

Having had knee surgery (ACL reconstruction) and more recently open heart surgery I use cycling as a great exercise activity to stay fit physically and mentally.

On June 5th 2021 I will be taking part in RAFA RIDE 21, I am also on the team from RAF Waddington helping to organise the spread and sign up for this event, both on the day and attempting to get as many RAF members signed up virtually to across the world wherever we are deployed or stationed.

Our aim is to cycle around the world in a day, 24,901 miles between us, and raise £1 for every mile cycled.

I understand that this past year has been exceptionally difficult with COVID limiting the normal way of business and life around the world, and this may mean donations are harder to justify, but if at all possible, I would be hugely grateful of any donation or discount towards a future Airbnb stay I could offer towards my fundraising raffle. All donations will be properly thanked.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to get back to me.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Stephen Gannan

4 Replies 4

@Steve2822  Airbnb sells gift cards , but unfortunately it appears that they're only available in the US.

And it's not possible for Airbnb hosts to offer a stored-value credit for their own listings, so what you're asking for is simply not an option. You might want to look into whether other travel platforms offer gift vouchers for UK customers, and perhaps use a fundraising platform like GoFundMe if you need to raise cash. This forum is not the right venue for that purpose.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Steve2822 What I've done for charity auctions is offer a weekend stay at my Airbnb. It doesn't get booked through the website: I've just gotten the guest info from the organizers and the winning bidders have stayed at my place. If you know any local Airbnb hosts you can ask, that might be a good way to organize it. 

I’ve  had them book through Airbnb and I refund their money.  The reason I do this is to have Aircover active.  I do have an identical umbrella policy through USAA so unless you have private insurance you’d be on the hook for damages and liability.  It also allows for reviews that should be positive if you’ve made a donation.  My thoughts anyway. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Steve2822  Congratulations on your recovery and your effort on behalf of RAFA.  Like @Alexandra316, I've given a stay at my house in charity fund-raising efforts in the past.  All you need to do is to get someone to agree, then I'm sure your organization has a form they can fill out, the owner will provide a link or pictures and you'll be all set.  The winner won't book through Airbnb but the listing can be used to display the item up for auction.