Request to book with no id

Request to book with no id

Our place is set up so guests must “request to book,” rather than “instant book.” Because of this, there is no way to set it up to require that guests have government id before requesting to book. We just got a request from someone without one who has no reviews. (Joined Airbnb in 2013) 
Should I decline based on this? Ask him for id? 
Furthermore, am I missing something—is there a way to require id without setting it to “instant book?”

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David-and-Annie0  I also use request to book and have accepted guests with no reviews, no verified ID, and who appeared to have had an account for several years. They all turned out to be fine, but they communicated well when they requested to book and to subsequent messages. There could be many reasons for no reviews yet a join date from years past- they never had a chance to travel, their hosts didn't bother to leave a review (there is some idea that this means the host shied away from leaving a deserved bad review, but this isn't necessarily the case-some hosts just don't bother to review), they've had Airbnb stays with their partner under the partner's account. When I see that, I just ask, saying I'm curious as to why they don't have any reviews since they've been a member since 20XX. 

As for asking for ID, I think you can ask for whatever you want, but not sure about that. Personally I don't put much stock in Airbnb's verification process. There's plenty of guests who passed the ID verification, but still turn out to be awful guests. Just because someone has uploaded a drivers license or passport doesn't mean they won't leave your place a disastrous mess. I guess it helps as far as knowing if the person who booked is the one who showed up, though, if you check ID at the door.

@Sarah977 I have always thought that it wasn't possible to have several profiles with a government ID. For instance a guest who gets a bad review won't be able to open up a new profile adding government ID. That guest would only be able to open a new profile but without government ID - or am I missing something. Is it possible to have several profiles all with government ID uploaded? 

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @David-and-Annie0 🙂

Whenever I get a request from a guest without a profile picture and verified ID I ask the guest to please update the profile. I write that otherwise I unfortunately won't be able to confirm the request. It always works (at least I can't remember it didn't work) and I get to have a little conversation with the guest - they get a feeling of who I am and vice versa 🙂 (Is that’s how you say it? :-)) 

I sent him a welcome inquiry (my standard), including saying that before confirming booking we require that he read all our house rules and agree to them, AND I added that we require guests to have a government-issued id in their profile (hoping this would prompt him to add his). 
Within about an hour, without a word, he withdrew his request. Maybe I dodged a bullet or offended him—or both. I can only come up with two legit reasons a person wouldn’t want to provide their id: they are concerned about privacy/identity theft, etc, or they are famous and don’t want their photo id out there. 
This was the first time we’ve had to deal with someone not having a government id on file. Maybe I’m being too paranoid. But I feel a little worried thinking he could be anybody and have no accountability if things go missing, etc. We wouldn’t even know his true identity. Then again, it’s hard to be sure of that anyway in this day and age. 

Good move on your part, @David-and-Annie0 to communicate a requirement of government ID and profile picture.  Some people have an aversion to providing this for reasons of mistrusting the system and I respect that, however, I still require it.  I think asking for this cooperation is somewhat a test of the guest's willingness to be a part of how this system works.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David-and-Annie0  I agree that anyone who balks at providing ID is probably a dodged bullet, although I have read some posts here from guests who are concerned with online identity theft, which is a pretty valid concern. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't really see what purpose govt ID uploaded to Airbnb has, other than if the host checks the name online to see if they have a social media presence, if there are any red flags there, or whether the guest has a criminal record or is wanted by the police. I mean, reportedly Airbnb has refused to release full names to the police of guests who have caused havoc, so it doesn't seem to have much value. Checking ID at the door seems more on-point- you can see if the photo matches the person standing in front of you, and at least know their name if they end up stealing from you or trashing your house.

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

I have on my house rules that the ID needs to be added to the website before the check-in. When there is a reservation I check to see if they already have, if not I add a reminder on my welcome letter after the reservation is made.

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@David-and-Annie0 

I have to say I agree with @Sarah977 

I think the government ID thing is actually pretty useless - in a way a bit dangerous because it can lull you into a false sense of security.

Did you realise for example that even if a guest HAS provided government id, that it doesnt' then have to be the same as the name ( or the picture) that they use on their profile?

I have provided government id ( i started as a guest ) and that was checked to see that the selfie I took correlated to the picture on my government ID and that I was probalby who I said I was.  That info is then stored somewhere online by a 3rd agency - not airbnb, (which is what some individuals have grave concerns about - especially re identity theft).

Having gone through that process, I can then make my name on my profile whatever I like - and equally i can use whatever photo or picture or graphic I like - it doesn't' have to correspond with the government ID photo. I can also say I live in Tibet on my profile.   

There have been numerous posts on these boards where a host has been on the receiving end of damage, has realised that the profile name is a false name, and aribnb will not release the verified government ID name without an injunction or  court order.  
So I agree absolutely with @Sarah977 it's of no real value. - it's just aribnb spin to lull hosts into thinking we are being offered a degree of protection.  Of course the majority of guests probably do use their real names and a real photo, but they don't HAVE to.

The only way to know for sure who is actually staying in your home is to ask for full legal names after booking ( which I do - its a requirement of my insurer) and then, compare that to photogrpahic ID when they check in ( which I dont' do, but many hosts in some countries DO).

I do require government ID as a step in my booking process, not because I think it protects me, but because I think it helps get a guest who has at least taken a degree of trouble creating their profile and hasn't just booked my home in 2 seconds they way they might on a hotel site. The main judgement I use however, is how a guest communicates and interacts when booking. So far my gut reaction to their interaction has been right 100% of the time.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@David-and-Annie0 

I am not sure if this is only useful to hosts who use instant booking but try to check this little box:

https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/requirements