Reviews

Makell1
Level 2
Logan, UT

Reviews

I just received my first two star review. Up to this point i've only had 4 and 5 star reviews on this property. 

When you try to have one removed, it really never happens, so it's not really an options. However, I really feel the review was not warranted and it is pretty frustrating!

The reviewer gave me a two because they didn't like my house rules and my check out instructions and I wonder if I should change them in any way? 

Most of them are so basic to me, and this is really only one complaint out of many, but getting a two star really drags you down for a long time.

Currently the rules are: 

- remove shoes

- use coasters on wooden surfaces 

- no food on couches or carpet

- no parties 

- no pets (unless approved prior to)

- no smoking in home

- quiet down around 9 pm (this is a neighborhood thing)

checkout instructions: these are sent a day prior to checkout

-  wash used dishes

- place towels and sheets in washer to be washed (they walk past the washer to get out of the one level home)

- empty trash

I feel dumb even asking this, but I am considering pulling my listings because I don't ever feel like I am heard as a host on Airbnb. 

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Makell1 

I read the review, the guest mentioned the houserules are not in the listing:

"There were a lot more house rules than listed on the website"

Looking at your listing I noticed the houserules are not in the section "houserules", but they are in the description. I suggest to add the houserules in the correct section. Also some rules can be set in the listing by default, eg "no parties", "no smoking"

Okay, I have done this! 

Thanks for your help!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Makell1  Your house rules do not seem onerous at all. But guests gloss over information in the listing info and you can't expecct them to remember was was written in the listing ad. You need to reiterate your house rules in a message to guests when they book or requuest to book, and also leave those rules and check out instructions in the house.

I would get rid of the requirement to put the bedding and towels in the washing machine, though. Many stains require pre-treating in order to come clean. You need to check those things over before just washing in hot water, which will cook a lot of stains in so they never come out. You'll be constantly buying new linens and towels if you do this. Most hosts advise having guests leave the linens on the bed, so you can examine for marks that might require some pre-washing treatments.