Roach in my bedroom

Tyfany0
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Roach in my bedroom

I have a rental for almost two weeks. I didn't stay at the place for the first four days because I had a guest. I have been staying here for two days and I saw a live roach crawl from under my bed during the day. It was literally crawling straight to my luggage. I haven't seen more than on but is one enough to justify a refund?

19 Replies 19

How many **bleep**ed up situations must I endure before a refund is warranted. 

It's not a question of number or magnitude. It's your responsibility to inform the host. If they can't resolve the issue and you decide to leave the property, a refund is warranted for the nights you didn't stay.

Which part of that is still not clear to you?

@Tyfany0  So seeing one cockroach is a "bleeped up situation" that you have "endured". Totally freaked you out. Rather dramatic.

If something about a listing is unacceptable and the host can't or won't do anything about it, then you cancel and leave. You can't just continue to stay, availing yourself of the utilities and the amenities, using the bedding and the towels, and then expect to get a refund for the nights you've already stayed.

Your original post posed the question that if you spotted one roach if that justified a refund. You got your answers. You didn't like them. Why even ask the question if all you want to accept or consider is all responders telling you yes? And you still haven't indicated if you even notified the host, which is the protocol with Airbnbs.

Hi Sarah, 

Thank you for responding.  Actually I had no problem with the answers. I did have a problem with @Anonymous insinuating that I was being "a karen" because I asked if a refund was warranted. I literally posted here to gauge my feelings and ended up feeling attacked by this guy. My point was if I was just going to cut and run I could or would have done that a long time ago.

Short story long,  I decided to stay because the alternative was just a lot. Ok, so I saw a roach. Not ideal, but hey it happens. I am going to notify the owner, but what can they do I already saw it. Here's to hoping I don't take any home with me. I appreciate your constructive responses. 

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

Let me share some stories here. Among the years I have hosted on Airbnb, there were a few guests somehow pissed me off. Case 1: A guest checked in and told me he saw a cockroach in the kitchen. It was just a couple days after we had a professional pest control visit lol but I still offered him two options: leave with a full refund or stay. Guess what? He wanted to stay with full refund. I simply said no you can't get a free stay just by telling me you saw a cockroach, and I had no way to justify it as there's no evidence. The guest was like furious and reported to Airbnb about it. The representative contacted me and I just explained that I'm OK with full refund but he can't stay in our apartment with a full refund and Airbnb representative was in full agreement with me. Case 2: A guest stayed around early July and just a couple days ago he submitted a sneaky full refund request through Airbnb resolution center, stating the unit was not clean, which he was clearly lying. The true story was that he booked 2 nights and on the 2nd morning he messaged me saying he was going to leave and asked me to refund the 2nd night. I simply rejected that because that's against our cancellation policy. And then he became crazy/furious and messaged me saying he was going to ask his lawyer to talk to me. I didn't want to respond to him and he called me saying he has family emergency that one of his relatives passed away so I, for courtesy, granted him the early departure. Now he puts in the sneaky request thinking that Airbnb is going to side with him no matte what... I'm still waiting for Airbnb on the resolution case now.