Rodent Feces EVERYWHERE! Door County Rentals - Schook Shack - Promised FULL REFUND, shorts us AIRBNB Charges and tells us to go to AirBNB for that portion.

Dave975
Level 2
Middleton, WI

Rodent Feces EVERYWHERE! Door County Rentals - Schook Shack - Promised FULL REFUND, shorts us AIRBNB Charges and tells us to go to AirBNB for that portion.

How do places like this even stay in business.  I was hoping to end this amicably, but it seems that Door County Rentals want to make this even worse than simply ruining my daughters birthday vacation and our entire weekend.   We were supposed to be there right now through Sunday, but the condition of the rental inst even safe for human use.  There must be hundreds of mice and rats behind the walls to leave poop all over the entire rental like that.    Even between the sheets, the kitchen counters, the kitchen sink, in the drawers, the linen closest.    Making the bed as soon as I arrived is when we discovered.  See pics attached.  

We immediately called the emergency line they gave us and a guy named Bob admitted that they have had mice problems at that location ALL summer.  So they knew about it, and still did NOTHING.  Not a mouse trap to be found.  The next day, when we were promised a full refund from Jodi, she decided to go on to claim that they have "never has rodent problems at that location."    Their game is loud and clear now. 

And AIRBNB..??  Where can I start?  This page and the customer service sure has changed over the last 20yrs.  We own rentals out west and thankfully we dont use AIRBNB.  Would hate to treat my customers the way they treat yours.   Like they simply do not Exist. 

I would like to know when and how will we receive the remaining $219 from the $1488 payment?  We were promised a FULL REFUND.  And where is that $500 deposit too!?!?!?     I spent 5hrs cleaning the poop too.  I guess I will be suing for reimbursement of time and fuel on top of the $219 and deposit,  if we dont get our refund soon.   

20201001_192731.jpg20201001_193649.jpg20201001_193702.jpg20201001_193832.jpg20201002_055705.jpg20201001_193531.jpg20201001_193640.jpg

16 Replies 16
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Dave975 you've posted on a public users' forum; Airbnb is unlikely to respond to this post. The host doesn't have the service fee and can't force Airbnb to refund it. As far as I know Airbnb also doesn't actually pre-charge the security deposit so there is nothing to refund there. Sorry you had such a bad experience. I hope you will report the listing to Airbnb-- click the flag icon.

@Lisa723 

Professional operators can very well charge a real deposit, they even charge it cash on site. They are cashing in a couple of other items as well. This is a screenshot from an agency in Germany that rents 1000+ listings through airbnb:

2020-08-21 Security payment in cash.jpg

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ute42 

Mouse traps (max 25) EUR 2,00 Bookable extra, payable in resort fixed price

A trap is refunded if returned with a captured mouse

this is hilarious.

@Ute42

A few smaller hosts charging a deposit through the resolution centre now too. From what I've heard so far, there doesn't seem to be much of a pushback from Airbnb about it, but I guess that might change if the practice starts catching on. 

Penelope
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Dave975 

I do not think there are "hundreds of mice and rats behind the walls", otherwise you would have heared them running around ! Even a few mice can produce the "**bleep**" shown on the pictures.

But it is a very unsanitary situation.

The "Airbnb guest service fee" is at Airbnb, so can not be refunded by the host.

Normally a deposit set by the host  ("host-required") is not actually charged. But if the deposit was set by Airbnb ("Airbnb-required"), you need to contact Airbnb to relaease it.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

Best regards,

Emiel

We could hear them through the walls, it was disgusting.

Dave975
Level 2
Middleton, WI

From what I read, they could have done a "cancel" and/or force the refund through their account rep.    Neither of those were offered.  We were told to get ourselves.    Not how this is supposed to work!   And AirBNB get's an 'F' for not providing a system of recourse or communication.  They went dark entirely and the customer remains completely powerless to get our full refund.  Go to their phone system and it tells you if this isnt Covid Related, see ya later!  And while rentals are at an all time high right now, and they are a Tech company, they use Covid as the excuse to remain unavailable.   Worst company ever.  They are making mony hand over fist right now.    So happy we use a better local service who respects the Tenants and the Owners.

@Dave975 there is no such thing as an "account rep." Yes, if the host had been willing to cancel on your behalf that would have been better for you, but generally the party who wants to terminate the booking needs to do the cancellation. Yes, this listing looks horrible, and yes, Airbnb CS seems to be generally abysmal right now. I hope you will report the listing as mentioned above.

@Lisa723

All the bigger professional hosts and property management companies on the platform have dedicated account reps/handlers.

Penelope

@Super47 thank you, I did not know that.

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

@Dave975 , I read your OP and posts a couple times and it wasn't clear, how many nights did you stay? At what point in the stay did you and the host agree to cancel and you would leave? Understand the $219 is the service fee, is that correct? What were terms on the listing for the $500 deposit?

I'm also a guest btw, not a host.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Dave975 

I'm genuinely sorry for this experience, and for whatever is worth, happy birthday to your daughter! As other members pointed out, this is a community for hosts and guests from around the world to connect. After reading your post, however, I felt compelled to reach to Airbnb's Customer Service about this on your behalf.

It seems you haven't communicated with them directly about this. In fact, the last time you did have an open ticket/query with the team was back in 2016. Could you please reach out to them in order to resolve this?

You can access Airbnb's Help Centre here.

Thanks
Nick

PayPal ruled in my favor after AIRBNB put up a considerable fight trying to keep my money. They even made me prove payment and appeal, even though it was all handled through PayPal.

Then, right after I was awarded the refund by PayPal, after escalating it and appealing some blind decision in AIRBNB's favor, AIRBNB finally messages me that they are "happy to provide my refund!" But that doesn't sound the least bit sincere, after they ignored every request, then forced me to fight for it tooth and nail, just short of taking them to court. Then, suddenly, they are right on top of things? Haven't even heard back from them until now!

I will say this, if you intend to use AIRBNB in the future, I HIGHLY recommend you pay with PayPal, so you are protected! I would NOT have gotten my refund without PayPal on my side, this is for sure! This will be my last business transaction with a company who treats it's their paying customers this poorly. Crooked company with crooked business practices. Good riddance!

UPDATE:  Now AIRBNB is trying to charge me back the full amount.  Such a crooked company.  Guess they earned another Yelp and Google Review after this one...

-- D