Marie6360
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

SHAME ON AIRBNB

Airbnb
Airbnb Community Support

Edward L, Jul 24, 2020, 3:52 PM PDT:
Hi Marie,

I hope this finds you well. I'd like to confirm that I have completed my investigation of the report of the threats and drug usage and taken the appropriate actions on Paul's account. I can assure you that all of the available evidence and correspondence was taken into consideration as part of our investigation and we must thank you, once again, for letting us know about this incident—we rely on these reports to keep the community safe.

This aspect of our investigation is now closed, and I will now move onto ensuring that any property damage issues which resulted from this reservation are addressed.

In order to assist you with your damage claim, we ask that you submit a Host Guarantee payment request form via this link:
https://www.airbnb.com/incidents/new.

This form is required to be considered for payment under our Host Guarantee program.

In order to ensure swift payment, we ask that you provide the following:

- An itemized detailed list of damaged and/or stolen property, including a breakdown of costs
- Detailed photo of each item damaged by your guest

Additionally, please provide at least one of the following for each item that you are requesting for reimbursement:
- Original purchase receipts for any missing/damaged items
- Web links to like-kind items
- Website showing average cost of service to repair or replace the item
- Estimate or Invoice on company letterhead
- Screenshot of online purchase/shipping confirmation that includes date of original purchase and price of each item

Please submit the requested documentation by July 29, 2020. If you need more time to gather it, please communicate how much time you think you might need.

Should you have any questions or concerns, just reply to this message.

Best,

Edward
www.airbnb.com/help

THIS EMAIL IS A SERVICE FROM AIRBNB COMMUNITY SUPPORT

THIS EMAIL IS A SERVICE FROM AIRBNB COMMUNITY SUPPORT.
For more information visit our Help Center
[XZGW94-00YO]

Mon, Jul 27, 8:01 PM (4 days ago)

to Airbnb

Hi Edward, I've tried four times to attach the file with the form, and each time it doesn't go through and I have to retype the whole thing. Will you please tell me how to send this to the claims department so it goes through. I have tried attaching separately, and the same things happen. I have a lot of items/proof in the folder.

Thanks,

Marie
-- =

7:47 AM (9 hours ago)

to Airbnb

I have hosted over 600 guests. My rating is 4.96. Three weeks ago my home was robbed and vandalized by Airbnb 'guests'. The 'Guest' threatened that if I did not drop the case 'Bad things will happen to me'

The claims department has not responded. I have a $500 damage deposit and I have not even seen that reimbursed. The 'guest' who did this has an active profile up that says he is also a host although there is no link to any properties. The police have an open investigation yet Airbnb does nothing. CBC News has been contacted and has responded with interest asking for more information and confirming I will participate in an on-camera interview. The story of this will come out and Airbnb will be held accountable.

Please tell me where things stand.

Marie
--

Airbnb Community Support
2:53 PM (1 hour ago)

to me

Images are not displayed. Display images below - Always display images from response@airbnb.com
Airbnb
Airbnb Community Support

Charles W, Jul 31, 2020, 11:53 AM PDT:
Hi Marie,

My name is Charles with Airbnb’s Claims team. Thank you for contacting us. We’re very sorry to hear of this incident.

For cases to be eligible under our Host Guarantee, hosts must notify us of the incident as well as notify the responsible guest, and attempt to mediate the loss and/or physical damages within 14 days of checkout or before your next guest checks in, whichever is earlier.

I've reviewed your previous tickets related to this incident, and it appears we were only notified after the following guests checked in. I understand you had communications with that guest to ultimately move them into another unit, though upon further review with my manager, we are unfortunately unable to support the claim under the circumstances.

This is a strict policy requirement and is in place to ensure timely and accurate resolutions for both hosts and guests. You are free to pursue reimbursement from your guest directly. However, per this requirement, this case is not eligible for reimbursement under the Host Guarantee program.

That said, we will follow up appropriately with Paul Tzouropoulos with regard to guest responsibilities.

You may review the Host Guarantee terms here: airbnb.com/terms/host_guarantee.

If you have other questions about the Host Guarantee and what is covered, feel free to respond in a direct reply to this email.

Best regards,

Charles
www.airbnb.com/help

[XZGW94-00YO]

3:13 PM (1 hour ago)

to Airbnb

Charles,

I have explained this multiple times that I did not have a guest check-in after Paul and before I made the claim. Three times I tried on July 10th to cancel with Airbnb (after speaking with the guest) to cancel the reservation. I was told repeatedly that someone from the right department would contact me. No one did. Finally, on the third call (after hours on hold multiple times), the woman put the cancellation through. THis was for the night of July 10th. I also contacted my guest scheduled for July 11th. The thread is on the Airbnb platform and copied and pasted multiple times over the past three weeks for Airbnb to see. I was dealing with a hugely traumatic event and I realised that Airbnb was not there to help. So I switched Joey on my own to my other unit, and as you can see there is proof in the thread. I explained this weeks ago when I was sent this exact response. I REPEAT NO GUEST CHECKED IN TO THE VANDALIZED AND ROBBED UNIT BETWEEN PAUL'S STAY AND MY CLAIM!!!! PLEASE CHECK THE RECORDS BEFORE SHOOTING OFF SUCH A RIDICULOUS RESPONSE.

Please see below the thread. This is incredibly frustrating and I honestly do not understand how you can tell me this again after all the proof I have shown.

Joey10:19 PM
Hi Marie! My partner and I are having our two year anniversary (of dating) coming up, and were looking for a bit of a getaway without travelling too far. We stumbled across the room you were hosting, and both agreed that it’s gorgeous, and how we’d love to spend an evening there!

About myself - I’m a university-educated professional with a Master’s degree currently working in home equity at RBC. My partner is also university-educated, working as a design manager at IKEA. Both of us are clean, hygienic, are respectful of both property and the people around us, and will keep noise to a minimum.

We will be sure to do our part to keep the space clean, and are looking forward to our stay!

Message from Airbnb Service󱜄
Request received · 1 guest, Jul 11 - Jul 12•10:19 PM
Jul. 1, 2020

Message from Marie
Marie12:23 AM
Hi Joey, Thanks so much. Sorry for my late reply. Sounds great. Let's touch base closer to the date to figure out the specifics. I can either meet you or leave keys for you in a lockbox. Call/email me anytime with questions. Thanks Marie
Request accepted · 1 guest, Jul 11 - Jul 12•12:23 AM
Jul. 10, 2020

Message from Marie
Marie10:34 AM
HI Joey, Can you please call me. The number I have isn't working. My airbnb trashed the unit last night. The police were here and airbnb knows. I don't think it will be ready for tomorrow as lots of damage. I can try to find you an alternative. Please call me. Thanks marie
Message from Joey
Joey10:49 AM
Hi Marie, sorry to hear about that. I’ll try calling you now.

Message from Joey
Joey10:59 AM
Hi Marie, is this the other unit you were talking about? https://abnb.me/sNXWwWFE07

If so, my partner and I would be good transferring to that one if it’s available

Message from Marie
Marie11:02 AM
Hi Joey,

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/6504852
Message from Joey
Joey4:05 PM
Hi Marie, sorry to bother again - would it be possible to get it in writing that I have the other room set for tomorrow? No worries if that’s not possible at this time, I’m just trying to cover all the bases regarding this.

Also, would the check in and check out times be the same as the original booking?

Message from Marie
Marie4:24 PM
Hi Joey, Yes, I'm booking you into my other space, suite 502. 90 Ontario Street, that's listed as https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/6504852 due to the trashing of the other unit by the airbnb guests on July 9th-10th,

Marie
Message from Joey
Joey4:34 PM
Perfect, thank you!

Jul. 12, 2020

Message from Marie
Marie10:24 AM
Thank you for leaving everything so perfect.
Reminder - Leave a review•2:14 PM

3:24 PM (1 hour ago)

to Airbnb

I HAVE PROOF THAT NO GUEST CHECKED IN. YOU CAN CONFIRM THIS WITH THE GUEST. FOR THREE WEEKS I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET HELP. CBC HAS CONTACTED ME I WILL DO AN ON CAMERA INTERVIEW AND TELL THE TRUTH OF THIS. THIS IS FRAUDULENT AND ILLEGAL WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I WILL ALSO BE HIRING LEGAL COUNSEL. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. WHAT MORE DO I NEED TO DO. NO GUEST CHECKED IN. 
--

3:57 PM (55 minutes ago)

to Airbnb

I would like it stated in writing a confirmation that I tried three times on July 10th to have Airbnb cancel the reservation booked for the night of july 10th due to the destruction of my unit. The calls should be logged and only on the third call did someone finally do this for me.. This after being on hold for hours and hours on the same day I was dealing with the police and my destroyed home.

I would also like it in writing that I communicated with my guest Joey, who was due to check in on July 11th, and made it clear that I would move him to my other unit if he wanted, that this is all documented in the Airbnb message thread. I did this because Joey was celebrating an anniversary and I was doing everything in my power to not ruin his plans. Airbnb can contact tJoey and confirm this as well as see the clear documentation on the thread.

I would like it in writing that despite this proof, AIRBNB is still refusing my claim by saying that I had a guest check-in between paul's destruction of my unit and my claim. I would also like it stated in writing by Airbnb that between July 10th and July 12th I pleaded repeatedly to Airbnb both my phone and email for some guidance on how to handle this, and was told repeatedly that I would be contacted, that the case was escalated to urgent. NO ONE CONTACTED ME SO I SWITCHED THE RESERVATION TO MY OTHER UNIT!!!!! READ THE PROOF AND CONTACT THE GUEST.

REST ASSURED I WILL DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO HOLD AIRBNB RESPONSIBLE.
--

Airbnb Community Support
4:30 PM (23 minutes ago)

to me

Images are not displayed. Display images below - Always display images from response@airbnb.com
Airbnb
Airbnb Community Support

Charles W, Jul 31, 2020, 1:30 PM PDT:
Hi Marie,

Thank you for your email.

I certainly understand your perspective on this matter, and I want to assure you we take these cases very seriously.

I have asked my manager to review the details of your claim further, and ultimately we have concluded that we can not support the claim, as it was not submitted within the required timeframe.

Our Host Guarantee policy states the following:

"You acknowledge and agree to use your best efforts to communicate with the Responsible Guest (as defined below) as soon as possible after you discover any physical loss or damage to your Covered Property. You must notify Airbnb as well as the Responsible Guest about your complaint and attempt to resolve the loss or damage with the Responsible Guest within the earlier of (i) fourteen (14) days of the check-out date, or (ii) before your next guest checks in. You may fulfill this obligation by submitting a claim via the Airbnb Resolution Center."

Upon full review of all communications, it does not appear we were notified within the required time frame, nor was the guest in question notified of the claim.

If you have any questions about the Host Guarantee and what is covered, feel free to respond in a direct reply to this email.

Kind regards,

Charles
www.airbnb.com/help

[XZGW94-00YO]

4:45 PM (8 minutes ago)

to Airbnb

Charles, I will try once more to make this clear to you. I called Airbnb on the morning of July 10th after being on hold for over an hour, I told them waht happened and that I had a guest scheduled to check in that night that I had to cancel due to the destruction of my home. I was told they could not cancel that reservation and someone from a department who could, would contact me. No one contacted me. I called again hours later, again I was put on hold and again told someone from the right department would contact me. No one did. Hours later I called again, I explained to the third 'representative' that I spoke to the guest who was due to check in that night and informed her what happened and that I was trying to get Airbnb to cancel the reservation so she would get a refund. Finally this third representative put me on hold, called the guest, and canceled the reservation.

Joey was scheduled to check in on July 11th. I called him and told him what happened. Because he was celebrating an anniversary (please see the thread) I said I could move him into my other unit which was free because the COVID worker had left early, but the calendar remained blocked. This is also in the thread with joey. Joey did not check into this unit, he stayed in my other unit, and all you need to do is contact him to confirm this,

I tried to deal with Paul as he initially promised to pay for all damages. Please refer to the text thread. This did not happen. Not only did he not follow through and pay for the damages, but he threatened me if I did not drop the case or the claim.

I filed the report on Sunday, July 12th. No one stayed in this unit between the time of Paul's crime and the filing of my report. Airbnb is stating a lie, in saying that I had someone check-in before I made the claim. I have supplied evidence to the contrary.

Please explain why Airbnb is not supporting this claim due to the facts I have presented.

Marie
--

4:50 PM (3 minutes ago)

to Airbnb

I have sent all the text message correspondence with Paul to both Airbnb and the police. I did inform Airbnb before another guest checked in, and I did try to work it out with Paul before it became obvious that he was lying and was complacent in the crime from the start. Please refer to the text message thread with Paul, the videotape evidence of him leaving through a back hidden entrance, and to the photographic evidence of the crime. The police came the morning of July 10th and again two days later to retrieve the videotape evidence. I'm not understanding Airbnb's logic here. I have supplied the proof. Please explain why you keep stating incorrectly that I had a guest check-in before I filed the claim, and that I did not notify Paul of this. I am a loss to understand why a host who has over 600 reservations is being forced to go to such extremes to prove a clear case. I repeat SHAME ON AIRBNB.

--

4:52 PM (0 minutes ago)

to Airbnb

PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT PART OF THE FOLLOWING I DID NOT DO. I ASSUME AIRBNB HAS RECORDS OF THE MULTIPLE CALLS AND EMAILS I MADE TO TRY TO GET AIRBNB TO ANSWER ME ON WHAT I SHOULD DO, AND TO CANCEL THE RESERVATIONS BETWEEN THE MORNING OF JULY 10TH AND THE EVENING OF JULY 12TH. THERE WERE MANY CALLS AND EMAILS.

"You acknowledge and agree to use your best efforts to communicate with the Responsible Guest (as defined below) as soon as possible after you discover any physical loss or damage to your Covered Property. You must notify Airbnb as well as the Responsible Guest about your complaint and attempt to resolve the loss or damage with the Responsible Guest within the earlier of (i) fourteen (14) days of the check-out date, or (ii) before your next guest checks in. You may fulfill this obligation by submitting a claim via the Airbnb Resolution Center."

0 Replies 0