Save the date: Tune in April 9 for a Host Update with CEO Brian Chesky

Airbnb
Official Account

Save the date: Tune in April 9 for a Host Update with CEO Brian Chesky

Last week, CEO Brian Chesky spoke to our global host community in a live video message from his home in San Francisco. He talked about the impact the coronavirus (COVID-19) is having on hosts, answered some of your top questions, and announced new initiatives to help you get through this challenging time.

He also committed to staying in closer contact with our community of hosts. We know how important it is for you to hear from—and be heard by—Airbnb leadership right now. We’ve continued to hold global listening sessions where you’ve shared your own personal stories, offered up suggestions, and asked questions, and we’ll be bringing you more Host Updates with Brian over the coming weeks, too.

So tune in for another update from Brian at 3:00 p.m PT Thursday, April 9. You can catch it live at Airbnb.com/live, or watch a recording after the event.

Thank you for all of your feedback over the past few weeks. Please continue to share any questions you have in the comments below, and we’ll do our best to answer some of them in future Airbnb.com/live events.

107 Replies 107

It is also a possibility that when this is all over, @Airbnb will standup to be the main engine to help the travel industry getting back on its track -despite the forecasts which I agree may be hazy in the mid-long term...

Nevertheless, things might get better than expected as we should get more lower-income guests and hosts to use and provide ABB services. 

@Susan17   I just watched our Governor's daily briefing. Someone asked a question about whether we should expect our summer festivals and events to be scheduled. He indicated not. 

I think think this year is pretty much already over, for me, unless folks are coming into town for things unrelated to large gatherings (my primary source of bookings). 

Carl12
Level 8
Madrid, Spain

So for 4 months of lost income Airbnb will refund 25% based on our cancellation policy? So if I am semi-strict and allow free cancellation with 1 month notice and I lost 4 months rent then I would get 25% of 50% meaning 12.5% back on the first month and then 0% on the rest? So in average of 4 months income lost I would get back a total 3.125%? That is fantastic.....

Carl12
Level 8
Madrid, Spain

If I am being productive and not bitching about how they could charge 18% commission and leave us with nothing then I would mention that I believe many of us would be happy to host health workers if they would cover their bills so perhaps Airbnb could help finding people willing to sponsor 1 months rent for a health worker?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Carl12 

Carl, I am so sorry you are in that situation but, in reality we are running our own businesses and it is not up to Airbnb to bankroll our business.

I just wish they had been a bit more adult about it and when a cancellation came along offered both the host and the guest alternative solutions which may have suited both. Homeaway/Stayz have done that and it is working perfectly. Instead of that Airbnb have excluded the host users from the loop with the sole intention of protecting whatever money happens to be in their piggy bank!

It would not surprise me if there were suicides over this! Airbnb have no control over pandemic virus issues, but they have a duty to offer a solution which takes into account all of their users, not just a certain category of user. 

Try to keep the chin up mate, take control of your situation, look at other hosting options and put your energy into making what you have work for you, not for Airbnb!

I hope you are ok over their in Spain Carl, we are seeing dreadful figures at the moment....stay safe mate!

Cheers......Rob

Great advice @Robin4 - it's just so sad that many small hosts may go belly up when this is all set and done. Really sad...

Kathleen187
Level 3
Exeter, NH

@Airbnb Although I'm greatful to still be healthy through all  this terrible pandemic. I truly thought you'd be helping all of your hosts, now I find out by invitation only. AND WHO DECIDES WHO TRULEY NEEDS THE GRANT MONEY???? I started working with you when I became disabled from an accident and could no longer work a full or even part time job, in order to be able to live in my home since it's not considered earned income and is considered rental income . What started as a necessity turned into a wonderful experience with my guests. But right now, that's not paying the bills, and in the State of NH we can't even take reservations at the moment, till some time in May as long as things get better. What are people like me  in a similar situation suppose to do???? I hope and pray everyday you'll do the right thing in helping us!  

Ashok33
Level 2
Mumbai, India

I'm shocked reading all these posts and responses. It's just horrifying and so sad to see how little value Airbnb has for their hosts.  It's time to do something about this.  Personally we are in our late 70's and rent our primary home to generate some income as we are retired.  They have shown no consideration for the elderly or for people that are at the greatest risk.  The process to apply is totally rigged and without merit.  An invitation to apply???? What is this Harvard?????   Everyone should be able to apply and some should be able to apply based on excruciating circumstances.  Sure have some criteria but an inviation???  I mean we understand that these children running these business have no morality as they have made way too much money way to soon and at the expense of others.  We are not superhosts only for one reason and that  had to do with one guest who was arrogant and disgrunatal.  Even though we did all we could to help them and gave them the best review they decided to ruin our rating and so we are now at 4.6 instead of 4.8 when all our other reviews are 5*. On top of that we have met all the other requirements of being superheats.   How can they just decide that we are not super hosts based on some **bleep**ty algorithm.   If we are not invited to apply and are not taken care of by Airbnb we will remove our listing.  The fact that the employees came up with the 1st million just goes to show what kind of people are the founders.  Nine million is probably what they make in an hour in interest just by holding the money paid by guest that they stick in a fund.  Can't wait to see what Brian in all his wisdom has to say.  Hope he does not forget what is really going on and does not forget that Karma will be his only downfall if he does not do the right thing by his hosts.  

Philippe1230
Level 2
Paris, France

act fast or loose street cred

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Robin4  Of course they're putting $ into attracting more hosts now- they foresee a mass exodus of many of their present hosts, due to their disgusting handling of this COVID crisis, as soon as they hopefully get paid the meager amount Airbnb has proposed for the cancellations. 

Dear Brian, @Airbnb  and all at the community, we should really consider the reason for cancellation above cancellation policies or host status in times like these.

I am constantly reading about status, cancellation policy and now "invitation" as some sort of filter for enabling few hosts to be compensated.

Will there be a re-consideration on how the compensation will be distributed among hosts?

In my case I'm not a multiple spaces owner, nor a small/undercover real state agent, and really feeling left aside on this due to my reasoning on Airbnb suggestions to have a moderate cancellation policy. 

Until end of May I have lost 6 reservations due to covid-19 (all recorded on messages) and I don't believe is relevant here to mention how this income is important for me and my family.

Despite any personal situation of each host, we all too invest time and money on our guests, pay our house expenses, taxes and @Airbnb fees no matter what. 

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Of the four million Airbnb hosts out in the world, one-tenth are considered "Superhosts"—rated among the site's best.

So, there are roughly 400,000 superhosts. How many meet all the requirements for the $5000 grant? 

Even if they gave away all of the $10 million that's only 2000 hosts who would get it. 

Even if you meet all the requirements, you're chances of being "invited" to "apply" for the "free $5000" is incredibly slim. 

Please stop worrying and wondering if you'll get $5000 for free from airbnb. Only 2000 superhosts who meet super tough criteria "may" get it.

It's not gonna happen for the other 398,000 superhosts. Which group do you think you're likely to be in? The 2000 or the 398,000? 

There aren't 4 million hosts though @Donald28 - somewhere around 650,000 - 700,000 (although those figures are almost certainly overstated too.

Totally agree that it's a publicity stunt though, and it's highly likely that the lucky recipients will be strategically chosen for maximum PR benefit. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Susan17 

Just as a matter of interest are you going to watch this next round of company grandioseness?

I think this time I will, I want to study his facial expressions, his eye and hand movements. That will tell me much more than what comes out of his mouth!

You are right though, reliable statistics say there are 650,000 hosts worldwide and those 650,000 hosts have a total of 7 million listings in 185 countries!

Cheers.....Rob

Pilar1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 

From your comment I take you didn’t watch the first one,  but you can still watch the recording, here’s a link:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/d/host-message

I assume the second one will also be available shortly after, in case the live broadcast doesn’t suit you “down under”  🐵

I’ve always been interested in body language so it will be indeed interesting to have your insights, if you don’t mind sharing.