Save the date: Tune in April 9 for a Host Update with CEO Brian Chesky

Airbnb
Official Account

Save the date: Tune in April 9 for a Host Update with CEO Brian Chesky

Last week, CEO Brian Chesky spoke to our global host community in a live video message from his home in San Francisco. He talked about the impact the coronavirus (COVID-19) is having on hosts, answered some of your top questions, and announced new initiatives to help you get through this challenging time.

He also committed to staying in closer contact with our community of hosts. We know how important it is for you to hear from—and be heard by—Airbnb leadership right now. We’ve continued to hold global listening sessions where you’ve shared your own personal stories, offered up suggestions, and asked questions, and we’ll be bringing you more Host Updates with Brian over the coming weeks, too.

So tune in for another update from Brian at 3:00 p.m PT Thursday, April 9. You can catch it live at Airbnb.com/live, or watch a recording after the event.

Thank you for all of your feedback over the past few weeks. Please continue to share any questions you have in the comments below, and we’ll do our best to answer some of them in future Airbnb.com/live events.

107 Replies 107
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know, the recap of the Brian's update, along with some useful links to more information has just been shared in the Community Center. Here is the link

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

What was actually useful about that????

Can you STOP raising money and actually GIVE out some of it????  Who the heck is actually being help?????

Hi @Lizzie 

could You pls post the link to the replay of the video?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Ute42,

I hope you are doing ok today. 

I'm just waiting for the recording to be uploaded, so when I have the link I'll let you know. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

Likely he didn't apologise for being late because the whole thing wasn't live, but pre-recorded.  Suspect it was delayed because they were expecting a lot more hosts to log in (first mention was the previous session had 50k hosts log in, this one struggled to get 3.5k).  Says a lot.  Loss of confidence among hosts.  Hosts not interested in listening to the bs.

I shut it down about 5 mins in, when he started carrying on about the recent increase in bookings in China.  He hasn't noticed that people are fleeing Wuhan and other high risk cities in droves while they can, hoping to avoid the inevitable second wave.   And which of course, will just bring on the very thing they are trying to escape.

Nothing to see here, BAU for Airbnb it seems.

@Sharon1014 

(first mention was the previous session had 50k hosts log in, this one struggled to get 3.5k).  Says a lot.

I noticed that... 188K views and 3.5k logged in. I thought initially that was just for the UK. Can't have been if you saw the same in Australia.

Last episode was 7K logged in. That falls far short of 50K.

Tim691
Level 2
Brentwood, TN

What about bookings with check-in dates beyond May 31?  In his first zoom meeting he referenced reaching out to guests “in a few weeks” to recommit to their bookings.  This, to me, means a chance to cancel penalty free with the owners taking the loss again.  Anybody know anything?

What I know, given my life partner is an anti-viral scientist (formerly with Gilead, and on the patent of Tamiflu, etc), is this virus outbreak will continue to go in waves until herd immunity is reached (60% of the population required) and vaccine is made (provided this particuar strain of coronavirus does not continue to mutate beyond whatever vaccine is made to address it). So, we are looking at 12 - 18 months of quarantines, stay-at-home orders, etc, in various parts of the world off-and-on (and hot-spots, especially) for likely 12 - 18 months, or thereabouts. 

I'm not sure people are fully getting the position we are in. Understandable. It is a lot to take in. Anyone dependent on hosting as their primary source of income are in a precarious position, as are any in the hospitality business in most parts of the world. Including Airbnb.

@Rebecca181  Can you please explain the basis for this "herd immunity" idea that I see mentioned so often. From my reading, there has been nothing to indicate that just because one has had the virus and recovered, that they are now immune from contracting it again. In fact, South Korea is reporting 91 cases of reactivation of the virus in those who were sick with it and to all appearances and testing, recovered.

Bob40
Level 10
Montevarchi, Italy

Hi, I missed all of this. Anything concrete for hosts with nothing but a string of cancellations for the coming season? I'm up to 9,443 euro income lost in cancelled bookings and the next one will take me over the 10,000 mark. Any mention of the superhost hardship fund? Vouchers? Insurance? Anything?

Chef3
Level 2
Turks and Caicos Islands

Any Update on when the 25% payments will be sent out ? 

Kathy899
Level 4
Hawaii, United States

Are they showing up on our transactions page?  My cancelled booking covered by Extenuating Circumstances shows 0 payout, not the 12.5% they are supposed to pay.

@Kathy899  All the cancelled bookings are showing $0.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Airbnb  So it seems that Airbnb has now added a setting to our booking settings, without any notification whatsoever, which has been turned on by default on some hosts' listings, without their knowledge. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Full-Refunds-outside-existing-EC-Policy/td-p/1278874

Once again, Airbnb shows its utter disrespect for hosts by changing and adding things without informing us. Mr. Chesky's apologies for not keeping hosts in the loop are absolute PR rubbish and it's astounding if he thinks hosts are so gullible as to actually fall for the false sincerity about how we're all in this together, when we continue to be treated with disdain.   Business as usual- hosts are nothing to Airbnb.

Are you listening? Hello? Are you listening? No, obviously not.

@Sarah977 

Are you listening? Hello? Are you listening? No, obviously not.

After a non-productive exchange with Customer Services with them justifying how a guest was able to prolong cancellation until after Airbnb Covid-19 applicable dates were changed, they asked for my input as to how they might improve matters.

Not only do they feel justified in taking Host's income, they now want to waste our time further in their request for constructive replies for them to only end up ignored and floating around in their futile suggestions bin!