Scam?

Najla11
Level 2
New Haven, CT

Scam?

Saw an apartment for rent on FB marketplace which led to an email exchange. I'm pretty sure this isn't how Airbnb works as I've been a previous customer. 

Hi again,

As I've said in my previous email, I will rent the apartment through Airbnb. I don't know if you have used Airbnb before. Airbnb is the biggest rental company in the world, you can rent a property anywhere in the world and if something goes wrong, you are covered and protected by them. If it's something you don't like, or if the apartment isn't as described, you will receive a full refund with no further questions in 24 hours, but I'm sure you will love my apt and this will not happen. On the move-in day, you will meet with an Airbnb agent in front of the apartment, he/she will give you the keys and show you the apartment.
For the first 2 months you will have nothing else to pay, because once you decide to move in the apartment, Airbnb will transfer the money to my bank account. Starting the 3rd month, you will pay the monthly rent in my personal account.

To make the Airbnb listing I need a few details from you:

1. Your complete name;
2. The date when you want to move in;
3. How many months you want to rent the apt;
4. How many people will stay in the apartment;
5. Your phone number so we can speak directly;
6. Your email address.
7. Photo of your SSN or Driver's license.

After I receive your details I will list the apartment on Airbnb and they will send you a link where you need to book your stay and complete the payment for your reservation within 12 hours.

Best wishes,
Wilson 

**[Name hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Najla11 

it is a well known scam.

Ola8778
Level 2
New York, NY

@Emiel1 would you mind elaborating on how this works? I've never heard of it.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ola8778 the scam is nothing to do with Airbnb. The scammer will send details purporting to be an Airbnb bank account but it is actually an account controlled by the scammer. Once the money is paid you will hear no more from the scammers!

Ugh. Thank you.