Scams

Anne1277
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Scams

How can I file a complaint w/airbnb?  I had a guest who made a reservation last night app 7:00 pm, arrived app 9:00 pm w/companion though my ad clearly states I accept only solo travellers, left this morning at app 6:30 am & then app 10:00 am cancelled her reservation meaning I will not be paid.  This is a common scam that I think could be eliminated by assigning guests QR codes that hosts would scan upon arrival.

4 Replies 4

Contact Airbnb.  They can see all the activities and will help you. 

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

@Anne1277

Airbnb TOS say that if the guest has an issue, he must tell the host and try to find a solution with you before cancelling.

In the absence of any complaint on the platform, there is no reason the guest should be able to get a refund for leaving the next morning.. Of course guests have a ton of tricks they can rely on like claiming an extenuating circumstance, etc.

You should be documenting everything on the app, for example when this guest arrived you should have sent a message thru the app about the situation:  "Hi x I'm glad you arrived safely.  Just to state here in the system that you brought a non-registered guest with you in violation of our house rules, as we discussed I will make an exception this time, free of charge,  and your friend can stay until tomorrow".

Of course your rules must be crystal clear and all your prior communication with this person must be professional!

Get in the habit of documenting everything thru the app, especially if something starts out bad like people bringing extra guests or pets or whatever.

Best wishes good luck!

UPDATE:  wait what?  You are a superhost with 80 reviews!  You know better than me all that.  How did it work out did this person get his refund?

Evil thieves. No refund!

Ken1917
Level 2
New York, NY

I had a recent experience with an airbnb "representative". Who said they ran and organised tons of Airbnbs for "clients" locally.  I booked and paid for the room, talked to the representative on the phone (as they mentioned was part of their screening process - which is understandable).  Then, I spoke to the actual host later on the phone who told me, "You're a great fit, I'll be happy to have you." 

Later, the representative calling me and began to try to renegotiate the price, after I and booked, had my confirmation and my receipt.  When I told her I found this suspicious, she became very irritate and started telling me that "Hosts lose 14% of what they make.  Did you know that?".  When I told her, I wasn't trying to be a pest, she threatened to tell her client to cancel my booking.  My booking was canceled.  And, I was left high and dry. 

Are people supposed to try to get more money outside of the BnB system?  Was I right to be suspicious? I have a recording of the phone call and, you can tell that my directness threatened her and she back-peddled quite a bit before hanging up.  Is there anything I can do about this?