Secret Coronavirus Extenuating Circumstance Policy for Seattle

Rob251
Level 3
Seattle, WA

Secret Coronavirus Extenuating Circumstance Policy for Seattle

Earlier this week Airbnb implemented the Extenuating Circumstances policy due to the Corona virus in Seattle.  They did so without any notice to the hosts, and no messaging anywhere on their site (that I can find). Why?
I had to learn about it from a guest.
I then called Airbnb to confirm, and it took the rep 10 mins to confirm that it was correct.

I have already lost several hundred dollars due to this unpublished policy, and expect to lose much more in the coming weeks.
Key Questions:
- Why did Airbnb implement the policy in Seattle? Our outbreak is small and confined, and life is going on as normal.
- Why did they do this without telling the hosts?
- Guests are making a personal decision to cancel, not one based on travel restrictions like China, Italy, and Iran (the countries that you do actually show on your policy). So why do the hosts have to bear the expense of lost cancellation fees? Shouldn’t the guests have to bear some of the expense for their decision as well?
- Are there other locations that are “secretly” on the Extenuating Circumstances list as well? Why? Is New York City?  
- Is Airbnb going to message the hosts in those cities?

7 Replies 7
Dina47
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hi Rob,  

I also lost all my bookings due to the Coronavirus.  They were all UW related; arriving to visit their kids, & UW Faculty.  
I did manage 2 Bookings with Travel Nurses.  Check out  Furnished Finders Travel Nurses.  I paid $99. To join.   I get at least 3 inquiries per day of desperately needing a place.  They usually need 3 months minimum and make great guests!  

@Dina47  Good that you got those bookings, but be really pro-active about the cleaning and personal interaction with the nurses. A nurse in Calif. just tested positive and was working with virus patients. Of course he was wearing a proper mask, gloves, etc, but he still got it. He wrote a scathing letter condemning the CDC handling of the virus and protection for health care workers.

Sharon67
Level 3
Seattle, WA

@Rob251 Hi Rob.  I appreciate your concern about lost income.  I do respectfully disagree with you on a number of points.  

I do not think life in Seattle is going on as normal.  I am unable to visit my mother in her rehab facility because they are not allowing visitors.  This is the same protocol being used at other nursing homes.  I just found out yesterday that I need to come up with a plan for 5 hours of online teaching to finish out the quarter at Seattle U since face-to-face classes have been canceled there and at UW and SPU.

Many small businesses are being severely impacted by a reduction in customers, not just Airbnb hosts.  Yes, it is extremely unfortunate and the financial effects on the global economy--including many small businesses like ours- are terrible.

I had a guest in his 70's planning to arrive this week and his son who lives in Seattle told him not to come.  Why expose himself to risk of mingling with international travelers in an airport and advice from Seattle and King County Public Health for people 60+ to stay home?  

Finally, I did get an email message from Airbnb alerting me about their extenuating circumstances policy.  Many organizations...not just Airbnb...are reacting quickly to keep people healthy by enacting work-from-home and travel restriction policies.  These are not long-planned interventions that can be slowly "rolled out" to employees.  They are reactions to a global health crisis.  If the outbreak remains "small and confined" as you say in Seattle, it will be because of the drastic measures affecting thousands of people to try to contain this very, very contagious disease.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I can understand your concern, @Rob251 , as so much is happening so fast.  Your 14 listings are at risk but I agree with @Sharon67  that there is not much Air BNB can do to mitigate this situation for hosts.  I hope you and yours are healthy and safe.  Take care.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't think it's so much Airbnb being secretive @Rob251  as the situation evolving so quickly that the policy is developing in response to it. I regularly check for policy updates as the UK is also an affected area.

Hosts and guests around the world are being affected particularly in areas like China and Italy.

Under the policy both hosts and guests are able to cancel in an increasing amount of areas.

With 14 listings I am presuming you have home insurance for STRs - do you have one that covers lost income in these situations. If so, I would make a claim.

Kim285
Level 2
Bainbridge Island, WA

@Sharon67 & @Rob251 I live in Bainbridge Island, WA.  I am suspending my Airbnb hosting due to COVID 19 virus, and have notified all of my April bookings/guests.  I canceled reservations for 3 guests who agreed to cancel in April, and now Airbnb is charging me $50 per booking cancelation fee.  I am trying to follow the advice of the CDC by avoiding contact with the public, and staying home.  As such, I do not want guests to be at risk, nor do I want to be at risk.  I clean my airbnb by myself, and I have at risk health issues (age & asthma).

Airbnb should allow hosts in affected areas like Seattle to cancel any upcoming reservations without fees and without losing superhost status.  I read that they are working on it, but so far nothing.

Hi everyone- I have an Airbnb in the Broadview neighborhood. I’m starting to get busy. I now have a picture up of cleaning products that I use in my Airbnb. I want to make sure that guests are safe as well as me. I have literally spent hours searching on the best products to use in cleaning. Also AirBnB put up cleaning protocols. I have decided and posted that there is a 48hr between guest. I’m now thinking about disclosures before excepting guest. I searched around a little bit at Airbnb places Seattle and it doesn’t look like anybody’s made changes to their description adding extra cleaning or any disclosures. 
am I the only one thinking about all this?

I’m working on the wording of the disclosure. I’m happy to share anybody interested in this.