Seeking Advice on Approaching Neighbors for New Vacation Rental

Zhe226
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Seeking Advice on Approaching Neighbors for New Vacation Rental

Hi everyone,

My wife and I recently closed on a home in Kailua Kona, and we're preparing to list it as a vacation rental. The property is a single-family home on a ~10,000 sqft lot. While we don't live in Hawaii, we do have a local emergency contact person. The property is already vacation rental licensed, and the previous owner used it as a vacation rental for years. There’s no HOA in our area.

We’re in our early 30s, and from what we’ve gathered, most of our neighbors are retired and don’t live there full-time, though there are a few full-time residents or tenants. The neighbors seem nice and generally keep to themselves, but we’d like to start off on the right foot.

I’m looking for advice on how to approach our neighbors and maintain good relationships with them. For example, should we be upfront about the vacation rental, or would that potentially bring unnecessary scrutiny? Additionally, we’re considering sharing our contact information with them, but we’re not sure if offering a small gift (like a gift card) might send the wrong message, as if we’re apologizing something in advance.

Any tips or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

0 Replies 0