Should I contact a guest before giving them a bad review?

Should I contact a guest before giving them a bad review?

I just recently started hosting and all of my guests have been great and left my place clean with the exception of my 9th guest.  Her and her boyfriend left trash all over the place,  stole 2 of my towels and stained the other 2.  They broke a leg on my bed frame and didn't say a word about any of it when they left.  She has already given me a review but I was wondering if I should message her regarding the damages and give her the opportunity to make it right before I give her a bad review. I also don't want to bring it up to her and give her the opportunity to change her review either. What should i do?

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Michelle2713 

Only for 48 hours after writing a review it can be changed, so at least wait for that time period before contacting the guests.

I understand you do not want to claim the damages officially ( https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264 ) , so you can indeed message them about the missing items and the damaged bed. The trash and stains can be mentioned also.

At least then they should not be surprised when receiving a not stellar review.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

if you want to make a damage claim then you should do it before your next guests arrive or within 14 days /I think). In that case, you contact your guests first, ask them to pay and if they refuse or ignore it then you involve Airbnb.

If it's too late and you already have new guests then you can't get any money for the damage anymore so there is no point to contact them now. If they wanted to pay they would tell you about the damage and offer to pay immediately.

Slam them with an honest review and 1* rating and hit the "I wouldn't host them again" button and maybe you will save another host