Slid reservation dates by 1 day, was charged $200+ extra

Caitlin363
Level 1
San Carlos, Costa Rica

Slid reservation dates by 1 day, was charged $200+ extra

Hi everyone! 

I'm trying to understand and find an answer as to why I was charged an incredible additional amount for changing a reservation by 1 day. Same number of nights but checking in one day later.  

I had to do this on 2 separate reservations due to change in plans and on the first one (cheaper airbnb) I was charged $8 more and on the second airbnb (more lux) I was charged $208 extra! I asked the first host and he sent me a screen shot of what he sees on his side that I paid the same amount for each night, no extra charges. So I'm wondering if this is not a host thing but an Airnbnb thing and in that case, holy moly! That's a lot of money to change a reservation that the host is cool with and has no booking on either end of my stay, $200+ ....insane! That's nearly double the price of 1 night... 

Does anyone know what has happened here? I'm seriously distraught as I didn't even realize it until after it was done. 😞

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

When you change a  réservation you will see any additional costs before you send the request to make the change .

I ' ve never heard of a situation where the guest and the host sees completely different pricing for the same booking @Caitlin363 

Give airbnb a call 

Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Caitlin363

It sounds like the luxury Airbnb must have had a very high price set for the extra night that you added at the end, while at the first Airbnb the extra night was just $8 more expensive than the night that you had canceled. The very expensive added night at the 2nd listing could have been manually set that way by the host, or smart pricing could have increased it automatically due to high demand. You can message the host and ask about it - if they are willing to drop the price back to your original total they can refund you using the "send money" function after you have checked in. If it is really a very popular night due to something like an event, they may be reluctant, but you can try!

The other possibility is that the second Airbnb may use a stricter cancelation policy and that you were not fully refunded (or not refunded at all) for the canceled night. You should click on the reservation to see the exact calculation of the new price. You can still discuss a refund with the host and argue that you are staying the same number of nights.

The bottom line is that you have accepted the revised total, so there's unfortunately no guarantee that the host will give a refund.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Caitlin363 This really cannot happen. The host must be getting more money or you have accidentally booked an extra night.