So proud of myself

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

So proud of myself

I host remotely and have never been able to figure out how to provide guests with special snacks, drinks, flowers, or other welcoming touches.

Finally think I've hit on it - I had these little note pads made up.  They cost $1.45 each.  I'm getting pencils too, also with @Diagonair stamped on them.

Aren't they adorable?  :):):)

Diagonair_note_pad.jpeg

51 Replies 51
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Ann72 I think it’s a great idea. Yeah I think it gets cheaper the more you order, from what I recall. I found a place that did my brochures and they offered all manner of stationery too. They seemed to give a cheaper price for a “re order” too, so you might find there are multiple ways to sweeten that price :j

@Ben551 Yes, I upped the order for the note pads because they do get cheaper with more.  I ordered 40 for each listing and want to see how quickly they go.  The pencils, though, didn't get cheaper with more.  Maybe if you get 1,000 they would lol.  Don't want to go crazy!  🙂

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Ann72  Hahahaha, woah 1,000 pencils = crazy pencil host. Although... just think. If I had a thousand printed pencils I would be tempted to create a version of ice cream stick sculpture... made of pencils...

@Ben551 Haa!  Now who's the creative one?  :):):)

@Ann72 

Whenever I travel, I like to keep notepads, pens and pencils from hotels/resorts and use them at the office - they are a good reminder of better times when I'm having a bad day. If I ever make it (back) to Maine then I'm definitely staying with you for the notepad 🙂 

Since we get long-term guests, our gifts have been a bit more personalized. We've gotten a few guests this personalized stamp/seal with their name in Korean and English engraved. 

도장.png도장 예시.png

@Jessica-and-Henry0 I love this!  What a wonderful gift!

When you come back to Maine you can have as many note pads and pencils as you like.  🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

They look interesting @Jessica-and-Henry0.  Are they pens in the middle? You have to love stationery. 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw, they are beautiful @Jessica-and-Henry0. It reminds we of the wax stamps. I once received a letter with a wax stamp with an animal on it. The problem was, I didn't want to open the letter. 🙂

Do you have your own stamp?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Ann72 

Such a nice idea! I think every guest should have that warm, fuzzy feeling when arriving at your pad, after all, I like to feel welcome whenever I stay anywhere myself (not that I get much time - boo hoo)! I agree it's hard to add some of those extra special touches when you're hosting remotely.

I've put a lot of time and effort into my welcome book -. I've tried to make it personal - e.g. where the locals go, hidden gems, things like that - so it's more than just the guide book spiel they can get from the tourist info or on the internet. I know the book needs to include all the practical bits and bobs (like how to switch on the TV), but I include all sorts in mine, from the best place to get a Chinese takeaway, to the cheeky shortcut to get to the local.

I also send a quick "what's on guide" email prior to their arrival, so if there are any nearby shows, exhibitions, special offers, etc they will have a chance to look and maybe book prior to their arrival. Just saves them time and makes me feel like I'm being a good host! 

@Kate-Mary0 Love the idea of the What's On guide!  That is really going above and beyond!  Thank you!

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kate Mary

What you are doing sounds great, makes it personal to each guest and they love that.

Where the guide book is concerned Kate Mary, it is hard to know where to stop!

I put in good detailed local maps of my area...a list all of the dozens of local wineries and the facilities they offer....brochures and menus from most of the better local eateries/restaurants....detailed maps of all the walking trails...and local interesting things like the National Motor Museum ....Steamranger ... Cleland Wildlife park.... The Prancing Pony and of course our major tourist town Hahndorf.

The result of all this Kate Mary is, the guide book is 47 pages, and I look at it sitting there and think.....a guest is probably not even going to bother to try and wade through all of that.

But if I don't include all these things you can bet a guest will ask why I havent included (what is to them) a blindingly important local feature....I am da*ned if I do and da*ned if I don't!

Where do you draw the line!

As an aside.....have you 'snoozed' your listing Kate Mary, or do you list on another platform? Your profile does not list anything of what you offer to guests or your hosting experience! 

Cheers......Rob

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Ann72 

How wonderful thet are! More than ever, I want to stay at your cottage. The thread is called "So proud of myself" and you really should be. 

It's never really about the cost of a gesture but the thought behind it, I find.  

What sorts of feedback have you had on the gift?

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie Thank you!  And I hope you do come.  Maybe you, Lizzie, and Quincy need to do a business trip.  🙂

I just got them, so they'll be installed for summer guests.  I'll report back!

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann72  @Ben551 

If I can just backtrack to Sarah's comment about smashing ants, most long term contributors will know I have an ongoing battle with possums on this property...I just can't seem to stop them from invading my space. Just the other night one broke the china horse head I have hanging on the wall in the mancave. The weight of the possum pulled it out of the wall fixing and it is now in a considerable number of pieces! They are a pest I just can't get rid of!

Not long after I started here I had guests from NZ for a week. The last morning there stay as they were about to leave I casually asked how their stay had been and they both said...."Fine.....up until last night. We were woken up by this scratching noise about 1.30 this morning and when we turned the light on there was a possum eating away at the bowl of fruit on the kitchen bench.

How on earth it got in there I have absolutely no idea but there it was. They managed to get it into the bathroom and opened the window for it to depart.

I felt like Basil Fawlty making excuses for the local fauna!

Cheers......Rob