Someone has my guests!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Someone has my guests!

A friend found these all over her rental condo when she went to clean.  She's flabbergasted.  But this is no surprise to me  lol! My guests must be visiting her.  These are 2 she allowed me to post. There are literally dozens with complaints.

IMG_20220417_173250.jpg

30 Replies 30

@Marie6762  that's a plot line from Sex and the City. 

Would give you several thumbs up if I could!!! Jeez, your poor friend! Yes to constructive feedback…but this? No way is it acceptable.

@Kitty-and-Creek0  Sorry No . For a start a childhood may have been better spent not putting sticky notes all over a home that is not yours, and maybe learning to spell or even write a list if your compulsive obsessive tendencies needed to be exercised while on holiday .  There are already sufficient areas to notify a host of things, that are in fact none of your business . This is a typical case of behaviour that is completely out of proportion to why the guest was here . A combination of a sense of entitlement that allows you to fail to realise this is not really your house and this is not useful or appropriate. Sorry guys but unless that was tongue in cheek especially the bit about your mum then ???? H

@Kitty-and-Creek0 

eg: How many of us sit on the toilet and see what the guests will see?  

ah yes, I absolutely do this! I also have a shower every few months to make sure things are ok, and you find you look at completely different things that way. I should probably sleep over one night too. 

I tend to agree that these notes were trying to be helpful. I just stayed in a simple abb and i really wanted to let the host know all the things that bugged me (both nightstands were occupied with a pile of books and a very nice - and breakable - pottery vase, in fact every flat surface had stuff on it, there was nowhere for me to put anything of mine) but I didn't say anything because I don't know how they would take it.  I think taking the time to go around and leave notes on this suggests some kind of personality trait on a spectrum.... but remember that ABB actually encourages guests to tell us what we can do better in their review process. Instead of encouraging guests to thank us and tell us what was great, they do the opposite. and likewise they do that with us hosts, encouraging us to tell guests how they could be better. !! it's outrageous.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Colleen253 @Laura2592 @Kitty-and-Creek0  @Suzanne302 @Marie6762   Well, you ask and you shall receive.  No sooner had I posted about communication methods than a guest checked out and wrote it all out for me in the message thread.  Please note the time of his message and the fact that checkout is 11 am.  

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 4.32.57 PM.png

@Ann72 No words.

I’ve got a neck cramp from all the cringing this post is making me do. 

Nailed it @Colleen253 😂

Now don't interrupt me, I'm busy restocking the coffee that I don't offer.

Sounds like the guest put a lot of care into writing this feedback. Did they leave you a 5* review? did they communicate about late check-out?

I am not sure why this message is so cringey/outrageous. Many guests that would have just helped themselves to things in the pantry without telling you... at least these ones were honest and actually bothered to clean up after themselves!

Feedback is just feedback, and you are under no obligation to do anything about it. I would definitely check out that dryer though...

@Louise1073  Everything in my pantry is available for guests, but I don't promise there will be coffee.  We've already checked out the dryer and there's nothing wrong with it.  He did not ask for late checkout.

I appreciate feedback, always thank the guests for it, and didn't say it was outrageous (although you did).  I thought it was funny to post this after saying I didn't think guests should leave feedback on post-it notes.  He did it the right way, but it still felt a little creepy.  As if he was finding ways to justify his unapproved late check-out, every light left on, trash unattended, tea-lights sitting everywhere without the many holders provided...just kind of icky.  The one thing I agree with is the knives.  We usually have them sharpened at this time of year.  He caught the tail end of the schedule.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Ann72   Pretty sure all my knives are dull too, i'm waiting for that complaint.  

I said it before but part of the reason for this is that ABB actually prompts guests to tell us what we can do better. "let your host know how they did" is the wording in my most recent email. I should have waited longer to see if they sent me daily reminders. 

Getting knives sharpened in a rural area is a challenge @Gillian166!  When I lived in Brooklyn, a guy would come by, park on the street, and clang a bell, and people would come out to have their knives sharpened right there in his truck.  In Maine, I take them to a town half an hour away, then go back a week later to pick them up!

I agree with you about the prompts guests receive, starting from the first one when they book - "Tell your host what time you plan to arrive," leading to requests to book that simply say, "We'll be there at 2!"

In the end, this guest gave all 5 stars and didn't put any of these notes in the review, so I guess that's a good thing.  🙂

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Kitty-and-Creek0  I get where you're coming from and I try to assume people don't have bad intentions, but like @Ann72  and @Colleen253 said I think for me it's more about the delivery. Leaving post-it notes everywhere is just obnoxious. Especially about things as trivial as the length of a bed skirt.

Is the toilet loose? Is there a tripping hazard? Let me know. But keep your opinions about a bedskirt length to yourself.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Jesus, come on.  Criticizing the size of the bed skirt or opining that a wall needs to be knocked down is not helpful or constructive feedback.  It is absolute mind numbing BS.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Laura2592 

Every 50 or so guest I get one like this. I wish I had taken a picture of a two page list of suggestions from one couple. They did say it was one of their favorite ones they stayed in and the suggestions were just "brownie points", including full length mirror, the bathroom door hinges needed grease, (they don't squeak at all) the bar stools needed grease, a hand held nozzle for the shower, and their own thermostat, to name a few. All of this is clearly stated in my listing description and they expected all of this without increasing the rates. I have sense installed an additional mini split, increased rates, and did oil the bar stools which no one else complained about. They also mentioned they added their own suggestions for places to eat in my guidebook, which I had to reprint as they put their own notes in there. I didn't discover this until weeks later as they left the two page note in the guidebook without my knowledge.

I also get messages in the review about something rediculous from guest who didn't respond at all to messages after booking. 

Kristina46
Level 10
Hawaii, United States

Oh good lord. Look at her backward slant. A handwriting analyst would say she is probably not only anal but severely  backed up. I have had guests like this but never with post it notes. Did you review them accordingly? 

"Would not host again. Stormy took it upon herself to leave critical sticky notes all over the home reading "Bed skirt too short," or "Slider too noisy" or ___. She's better suited to a hotel where they welcome sticky notes." 

These true guest nightmares should not be allowed to get away with their maniacal behavior.