South Carolina Governor bans guests from COVID Hotspots

Maxine33
Level 7
Alexandria, VA

South Carolina Governor bans guests from COVID Hotspots

I just had to turn away a booking from someone visiting from New York City due to the governor's order and am updating my listing to let people know.  Has anyone else done this yet?  Since Airbnb does not have a banner, I am looking for help with concise verbiage.to add to the listing.  I checked a few listings in Charleston but do not see anyone else has mentioned it in their listings yet.

Thanks for the insight,

Maxine

9 Replies 9
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

All you need to do is block out your calendar for whatever period is covered by the ban.

Then you don't need to put anything as people won't be able to book @Maxine33 

Maxine33
Level 7
Alexandria, VA

@Helen3If I block out the days then people NOT from those areas cannot book. The order only applies to guests from hotspots (New York and the tri-state area) staying for less than 90 days.  

@Maxine33  Anyone from anywhere can bring the coronavirus to your area. It doesn't matter what the order says. If you want to be a responsible person who doesn't put yourself and your community in danger, not to mention anyone else they come in contact with along the way, getting from point A to point B, you shoudn't be open to hosting anyone right now, except for medical and other essential workers who need housing.

Hello @Sarah977 , thank you for your concern and I respect and to a degree share your opinion.  However, in addition to medical responders, there are other people that need housing that I would also welcome.  People who have closed on a home and cannot move into their new home due to COVID in that area, those who have leases that have expired with new tenants moving in but their new home is not ready due to construction delays, etc. 

So it is very possible to be a responsible person who does not put my community in danger while still proving a home to those in need.

@Maxine33  I do understand the legitimate need for housing. But anyone coming to your area from elsewhere should be self-isolating for 14 days after arriving, so as not to put the rest of the community in danger.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Maxine33 , is your state one that now has published facts relating to the links between smoking Vapes/ e-cigarettes to Covid19?

Have a look online. 

We should not have our lives put on hold because of failures to address the Elephant in the room..

Maybe include Due to Covid19 please be transparent in your communications prior to booking my room your purpose of stay. 

Make sure you also get them to msg you they will agree to your terms and conditions.

Good on you for ensuring others still have a place to stay.

Just remember that healthy clean living people's health has been harmed and they are not responsible for this mess.

Until WHO & those assigned to testing start to ask questions about e-cigarette / vape/ hookah use & regulating these products this disease won't go away.

@Helen427 I have not heard about vaping and COVID … since COVID is a respiratory illness, it makes sense though.  Here is the governor's order.  https://governor.sc.gov/sites/default/files/Documents/Executive-Orders/2020-04-03%20eFILED%20Executi... 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Maxine33, it's originally been known as EVALI in USA and tied in with countless deaths before it was officially called COVID19.

We live and learn.

Philip Morris v Juul  currently in courts of law in USA  and related material online using such keywords pops up the links to Corona virus ...

We live in challenging times.

Take care 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Maxine33  what you can do is change your booking settings so that all will have to send booking requests. From there, you are able to better vet your guests and explain the situation to them in case you will have to decline.