States with Level 2 Coronavirus warning and maximum money withheld

Monica1621
Level 2
Beaufort, SC

States with Level 2 Coronavirus warning and maximum money withheld

Our "host" is withholding a refund in FL which is now designated as Level 2. We are going to lose several hundred dollars to avoid exposure for a trip with our child to Disneyworld.  At the very least, can't AirBNB limit the amount of money withheld, especially since we are trying to cancel several weeks in advance? It is unconscionable that hosts would not be compassionate enough to take public safety into account. 

Please don't simply refer us to a list of guidelines.  AirBNB needs to set a maximum fee if nothing else.

30 Replies 30
Monica1621
Level 2
Beaufort, SC

A lot of hospitals have gone bankrupt due to unpaid bills.  I used to work for one and they locked the doors without telling doctors or patients who showed up that day.  The only notice we got was a sign that said it had closed permanently.  We were all out of work at the same time with no warning and patients were left without care.  The receptionists had all done their part confirming appointments the day before with no knowledge of the closure, either.

I currently see patients in private practice and I am experiencing the same problems that you are.  I have a mortgage for my home and rent to pay for my office.  I have all of the expenses you mentioned to pay for both.  I have staff to pay.  And when we have a bad month, I don't dock their pay.  I take the cut.  If I were to calculate all of the unpaid bills over the years and the amount of time we've spent arguing with insurance companies on behalf of the patient, so that they wouldn't have to pay out of pocket, it would be maddening. We take many cuts year after year--primarily due to insurance companies that do not pay for benefits they agreed to cover--and it is not just during a state of emergency.

I just had a patient call to cancel yesterday due to her concerns about the coronavirus.  We wish her well.  We will not charge her, because we understand.  We have never charged a patient who has cancelled their appointment.  We have not even charged for no shows.  After two no shows, we won't reschedule them and even then we've made exceptions for those without reliable transportation.  We have had to deal with cancellations during hurricanes and evacuate ourselves.  We see our patients face to face on a regular basis. We see them in grocery stores and at soccer games.  Our children play with their children and their grandchildren. We simply cannot act with such rigidity and force people to choose between their health and their money. 

I have paid off all of my student loans and my husband and I have saved money to take our child to his first trip to Disneyworld.  We were looking forward to it.  We had no intention of canceling.  But I cannot expose myself, my family, and my patients when I return. 

Every person out there in every profession who has sacrificed their vacation to avoid contracting and spreading this disease is doing the same.

Try to show them a little consideration and make an exception during this crisis.  They might be there to help you in the future.

I have said all that needs to be said on this topic.