Stolen items

Nora974
Level 1
Sacramento, CA

Stolen items

Hi all. We were staying at an Airbnb in Paris when the flat was broken into and many of our things were stolen. Is there any recourse to Airbnb? Or do we have to go through the owners homeowners insurance? or do I have to go through my homeowners insurance? Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Lost two laptops,  jewelry, shoes  cash iPhone chargers, iPods etc 

6 Replies 6

@Nora974   The first thing you and your host need is a police report. All documentation you have of the missing items, including receipts, will become relevant.

To initiate a claim with Airbnb, you must complete the liability intake form here: https://www.airbnb.com/insurance/create-claim/liability

Your host will presumably follow the process too, so your documents will be linked to the same booking number.

I would be surprised if homeowner's insurance - yours, or the host's - extended to this situation. However, if you took out travel insurance for this trip, check the policy carefully; it might have a benefit for lost personal items.

You can probably expect around 6 weeks for the claim to be processed, but keep updating it whenever you find more supplementary evidence.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Nora974,

Most home owner insurance policies in the US will cover policyholders for belongings stolen while traveling, less their deductible.  The type of reimbursement will depend upon the policy, full replacement costs or depreciated value.  I recommend that you call your insurer to find out what's covered, and the process to file a claim.

I've not experienced a known theft while traveling, but a long time ago my luggage has been lost.  My home owner's policy covered me beyond the international flight limit for lost luggage.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

Thanks, that is what I thought I should do. Was hoping to use the owners insurance and not my own.    I don’t want my rates to go up!!!   Thanks for the help

Thanks Andrew we did file a report, the owner and I went together.  Thanks for the claim link. I will gather receipts and fill it out 

Thanks!!

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

This is for travel insurance. Most travel insurances I know don't support lost items without extra coverage. However if the break-in has been reported to the police and a claim has been made then you get coverage in all travel insurances where I live. This vary from country to country how the companies have different coverage.

What this is NOT is a claim on the host's home insurance. They only have coverage on damages made to the property and their own stolen items.

Best of luck with your situation.

Mariann good to know.  I will see what travel insurance we have.   I won’t consider the home owners insurance then

Thanks!