Strange review scores

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

Strange review scores

Hi all,

We seem to have a different 'issue' with review scores. We have  been given 5 stars across all reviews for the overall rating however 2 guests have marked us down to  4 and a 3 on value. I really struggle to understand this as their other ratings are all 5 stars. Why did they book if they thought it was bad value? 

Anyway I guess I should just chill as there is not much I can do unless I reduce the price.

13 Replies 13
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 who knows what goes on in the heads of guests.

They maybe thought you should host them at a loss or for free?

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Mike-And-Jane0It is surprising when guests mark down on value, but give 5 stars overall, especially since value is such a subjective thing. I had a guest give me a 4 for value last year because my 1 bedroom listing doesn't have 2 beds, even though, in her opinion, there is room for a second bed. People are odd.

Did you get any feedback on why the guests down-rated you? If so, and it's legitimate (I got a 4 for value at the beginning of my hosting, as I didn't have a throw blanket on my sofa) and something that is easily and affordably rectifiable, then consider it. If there was no reason given, or if it was ridiculous, then shrug it off. It's hard to not take these things personally, but do your best.

I just had a look at your listing, and you have wonderful reviews! I want to visit, now 🙂 The only thing I could suggest that may be affecting your guest's perception of value might be your cleaning fee. I know and agree that if a punter doesn't like the price, they shouldn't book. Perception matters with ratings, though. 25% of the cost over 3 nights can appear high - especially when it's added on as a separate line item.

I haven't looked at your competitors pricing structure, but might it be possible to halve your cleaning fee and increase your base price by that amount instead? Or would that make you look really expensive in comparison with surrounding listings?

This is just a suggestion, though, as it's impossible to know what people are actually thinking of when they think of "value".  Maybe the guests who gave you a lower rate on it are just people who cannot bring themselves to give a perfect score. I think that your price represents fantastic value, and I don't think you should lower it, but perhaps you could consider restructuring it, if possible/appropriate to do so in your market.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

Thanks for the feedback. We decided, rightly or wrongly, that the cleaning fee should be high to discourage 3 day bookings. We have combined this with a 10% discount for weekly stays. 

As you can see we are new to renting and are still feeling our way - I suspect that the new low value scores were due to each guest only using  1 or 2 of the 3 bedrooms - again their choice to book!

@Mike-And-Jane0   The guest who gave lower value ratings, how many nights did they stay?

I think you are right that the "cleaning fee" is not (and should never be) a reflection of the actual cost of cleaning, but rather a flat surcharge for shorter stays. But of course the obvious way to "discourage" those is to set a higher minimum stay, rather than charge a rate that some guests will perceive as punitive. Otherwise, you may have to accept that they'll be more critical of value and at times believe they're less obliged to clean up after themselves.

Yvonne41
Level 10
Kirkland, WA

I am also struggling with the value scores. I try to set a fair cleaning rate that accounts for the actual cost to clean, and replace small items that are broken or go missing. I also have an extra guest fee above a certain amount to offset that. But, I too am getting dragged on value. 

I think it might be nice if guests had the opportunity to review Airbnb on their fees and the Airbnb booking ease and clarity experience (the value of the platform), separately from reviewing just my home and amenities on value. I can't control the added taxes, nor do I have any ability to adjust the fees Airbnb adds on.

Clare167
Level 10
United Kingdom

It's happened to me several times @Mike-And-Jane0 . If there is a cheaper night available in the vicinity, guests may conclude that your place is poor value, forgetting in that moment all the wonderful qualities that led them to book your place and not the alternative/s. Also, we all suffer from comparison with naive newcomer hosts who underprice because they have not really thought about their costs/ are deceived by Airbnb's recommended prices/ want a start. You just have to decide whether you can tolerate the poor ratings for value, or would prefer to stop offering very short stays. Maybe go to 4 night minimum and no cleaning fee? A 3 night minimum is a bit betwixt and between, it's already not a weekend stay.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Mike-And-Jane0  I have almost always gotten the 4 stars for value from guests who got a discount.  Don't let those numbers make you lower your price.  In fact, I raise the price when I get them and I've completely stopped giving off-season discounts.

And as for being "competitive" - how many converted rectories are on offer in your district?  Put the price up to whatever you want it to be.  When I did that, after the first season of modest prices, all my neighbors raised their prices.  Never forget that your price is a signal of how you value your place.  

@Yvonne41  Your most recent review spelled out the value issue at one of your places in detail.  I feel you have some choices to make - whether it's changing the price or replacing the toilet, I don't know, but it's definitely something.  In my experience, a cottage or cabin for two in a bucolic setting has to have all the modern conveniences possible these days.  You're attracting millennials or empty-nesters with disposable income and they're looking for comfort while being in nature.  Ninety minutes of noise is not on their menu.  Your places are lovely and this is just my two cents!

Hi,

I appreciate the thoughts in your reply. Given the limits of our cabin lake’s ecosystem, we are unable to add a holding tank for toilet waste and have decided a port a potty and smelly and difficult to use compost toilet in our one room cabin would not be a better experience. 

I made videos and am explicit about the toilet and all of the experience of the cabin in great details-but perspective guests just really don’t “get it” unless they are already familiar with incinerator systems. My husband and I are planning to add some insulation around the powder room door and an outdoor shower, that’s the best we can do. It’s glamping 🙂

What are your thoughts or experiences with asking guests to bring their own linens? That way we can reduce our cleaning fee. Right now all linens have to be taken out and washed by our housekeepers, which increases the cost. I am paying them $80 to $110 to clean, due to the remote location and laundry!

Yvonne

@Yvonne41  The insulation and liberal use of the word "glamping" should help a lot.

On the east coast, it's common to ask guests to bring their own linens to vacation rentals.  I still have guests who ask me if they need to bring them.  So I wouldn't hesitate to do that.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ann72 The guests who ask and receive a discount and then give 4 stars for value never surprise me. They are not scoring the discounted price but the original price which they did not like and this leads them to ask for a discount in the first place. So it will never be a perfect 5 stars for value. 

I think all discount seekers have this mentality and 4 stars or less should be expected from all of them. 

@Emilia42  Ha!  Yes!!!  But just to clarify, I didn't give them discounts in response to a request, I had off-season promotional discounts going.  Amounts to the same thing in the end, though!

Also, I've concluded something else with the 4 stars for value from the people who paid full price.  They had a fantasy in their heads of how the trip would go, and more importantly, how it would fix everything in their lives.  When it didn't, they gave the 4.  😂😂😂

@Ann72 So true. I imagine A LOT of vacation homes have to live with that expectation.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mike-And-Jane0  "Why did they book if they thought it was bad value? "

Aside from guests who just think everything should be cheaper than what they paid, or who think the cleaning fee was too high, etc, I don't see value as being something related to anything they can determine when they book. Location, yes- as long as the host has described the location accurately, the guest makes that choice when they book.

But value, to me, has more to do with how they feel about the place or the amenities during their stay- they can't know a lot about that before they actually arrive. Like maybe the place looked a lot spiffier in the photos than it does in real life- the furniture may all be the same as depicted, but close up it might be scratched, or have stains on it, or not be comfortable to sit on. A host might say they provide tea and coffee, but the guest, who's a coffee lover, finds that the host only stocks the cheapest, most tasteless coffee available. I'm not saying any of these things are true in the slightest about your place, just explaining why the perception of value isn't something determined when guests book.

And sometimes the host provides things they don't mention in the listing, or does something over and above to assist a guest (that old 'under-promise and over-deliver), so the guest ends up feeling they got more than they expected, in which case they hopefully feel they got really good value.