Summer 2022 Release - Definition of word - Categories

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Summer 2022 Release - Definition of word - Categories

Categories - noun  "A class or division of people or things  regarded as having particular shared characteristics

-example :  "five categories of intelligence". Similar :  type* style* listing *group *classification *categorization.

I asked Google to help solve the nightmare of problems with the New rollout and this "categorization"  issue and voila

come to find out Airbnb does not understand what categorization means therefor does not understand how to create

proper Categories to  organize the lodging  inventory it represents.  Makes me wonder which of the five categories of 

intelligence is responsible for this ignorance and which one will fix it. 

Susan
7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Susan990 I must be missing something. The definition of categorisation seems too match what Airbnb has done.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

I'm not sure. "Grand pianos" is not a category of Airbnb listings, it's an amenity. However, "Airbnbs with grand pianos" would be, so maybe it's just semantics. However, I would agree with @Susan990 if the point she is making is that these sorts of things should just be included in the amenities, which guests can already search, rather categories. The categories list seems unnecessarily long to me. Why include an amenity like a piano and not a category such as a cottage?

@Mike-And-Jane0  Why not Cottage? Because cottage is a type of thing not a category of things. Architectural types of housing should be categorized as Houses Category then sub types of houses to be listed- cottage guesthouse studio apartment, then unusual housing forms in a sub-set titled Unique ( which used to be in the platform) such as Dome TreeHouse Yurt Cave, etc.

And Airbnbs with grand pianos is NOT a category. Airbnb should  remove this insane mixing of Amenities and Location features like Beach from Categories of housing immediately.

Susan

@Mike-And-Jane0  Well it simply does not match. Suggest you Google the word definitions yourself and read every part of what is presented and you will understand. Thank you for your response and question.

Susan
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Susan990 Can I suggest that the Oxford English Dictionary would be a better place to determine what category means rather than Google.

@Mike-and -Jane0 and Susan990 I suggest that these 'categories ' are to do with guests not housing. In other words a random survey of ' what I would like in an Airbnb' and it verges on the side of the very 'self entitled' who possibly do not actually believe in gasp horror'equality' So 'not as advertised will be your new categories including The room was the wrong colour ,I had to get out of bed to turn off the light  Fresh flowers were not delivered to my room this morning but when they were they were the wrong color . How do you eat an elephant? and other bed time stories read by Airbnb hosts to over indulged adult children plus  Tantrum training on the run and when to duck, when to call the police and my favourite. How many uninvited guests can sneak in the back way bingo. Bon appetit

@Helen744  I totally agree with your overall assessment of the culture of guest ABB has cultivated over the years.  And it has not happened by accident- it was cultivated. The public is imprinted with the idea that they can get away with treating an ABB property with complete freedom of invasion.  The initial perversion of the Review system, which does not follow the international hotel lodging criteria or even the VRBO format- which conforms to the international system- set up from the start that ABB was different.

Fast forward a few years and the monster has grown. People who cannot get into a Hotel or Motel or Resort can quickly book and occupy an ABB property, provided the Host has not put up the guardrails to blockade entrance.

ABB is  a popular target for whore house crash pads and a variety of illegal activities. I know- I have filtered them and blocked them many times over the years.  And it keeps getting worse.

A quick and easy way to fix this pattern is to adopt the same review system that VRBO uses--after all the entire ABB platform is copied after VRBO- an easy IT fix.

Susan