Super Host Requirements

Gail88
Level 2
Lake Worth, FL

Super Host Requirements

I’ve been a Super Host since My 1st Quarter Hosting and recently visited another Super Host and my expectations were shattered. I guess it goes back to working in the hotel industry as a GM for 4-5 Star Diamond property’s. In order to achieve that status you had to offer “X” number of  amenities, have so much light in the bathrooms to apply make-up, and in reading areas, beds had to have so many pillows, you had to provide X number of towels and washcloths,  linens included a top & bottom sheet, along with a bed spread, Coffee Station, etc.  Guest evaluations are very important, but I really think Airbnb can take a page from the experts to make experiences a little more equal. 

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Every host is different and as is each listing. That is one of the great things about staying in a STR. They are not hotels chains with the same amenities. Just because you host in a certain way, doesn't mean others should. @Gail88 

Hosts often complain that when other hosts stay with them they review them based on their own listings and how they host, rather than how a listing that they are staying in was described.

In what way was the place you stayed at not as described in the listing ? - what key amenities were not available?  Was the place not clean? etc. Of course a Superhost (or another host) should provide a place that is clean and as described in the list and provide a value for money experience.

Absolutely if it is not as described take it up with the host, but not because you provide a different style of hosting.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Gail88 @Helen3 

Once upon a time, back in the days when Airbnb was actually fun, exciting and quirky, the very best thing about using the platform was that it catered for everyone, and everybody, regardless of their tastes, regardless of their budgets.. you could rent a shabby tent in someone's garden for a tenner, or a flashy penthouse in an exclusive enclave for megabucks - whatever took your fancy. 

All things then were most certainly not equal, nor standardised, nor homogenised (and that was the unique charm and beauty of the site. Guests were far more wrapped in enjoying their experience, and having a memorable visit, to give two hoots about the minutiae, or care about whether the lightbulbs were the correct wattage, or pillows were the correct firmness/squishiness. 

Then it all went to hell in a handbasket..

Welcome To "Airspace" - How Silicon Valley Spread The Same Sterile Aesthetic Across The World

https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/3/12325104/airbnb-aesthetic-global-minimalism-startup-gentrification

@Susan17  Really interesting article. 

1 "I think the demographic started to change," Short says. In 2013, Airbnb felt like a true social experiment, "pioneering new territory, attracting people who were open-minded, easy-going, don’t worry if there’s a fleck on the mirror in the bathroom." '

@Michelle53 

That's it in a nutshell, right there in that paragraph, isn't it? That was Airbnb's USP, and what everybody loved about using the platform. Now most guests seem to think they're starring in an episode of The Hotel Inspector, and Airbnb treats us all like its indentured servants 😞